Edge, Music, Ultra

Must-see Ultra performances this weekend

Ultra Music Festival returns to downtown Miami this weekend with a lineup as major as the size of its crowd. While dancing to the electronic beats of deadmau5 and DJ Snake, be sure to check out these big names in electronic dance music (EDM).

Martin Garrix

Start off a weekend-long Ultra adventure with Martin Garrix. Garrix had his first hit “Animals” at the age of 16. Today, at 19 years old, he is ranked No. 3 on DJ Magazine’s Top 100 DJ’s. His other songs include “Tremors” and “Turn up the Speakers.” He recently released a new single, “Now That I’ve Found You” featuring John and Michel. He will perform Friday at 11 p.m. on the Main Stage.

Afrojack

More likely to be behind the scenes than other DJ’s, Afrojack has written, produced, remixed and been featured in a plethora of songs. He made his first debut as Afrojack in 2007. He gained worldwide success with “Take Over Control” featuring Eva Simons. Working on more collaborations, Afrojack soon became a staple in EDM. Perhaps his best-known and most-played song was his partnership with Pitbull in “Give Me Everything.” Afrojack released his first album in 2014, entitled “Forget the World.” Last year he topped the charts again when he collaborated with David Guetta and Nicki Minaj in “Hey Mama.” Afrojack will perform on the Main Stage on Saturday at 8:50 p.m.

Avicii

Avicii released his debut album ‘True” in 2013 and has been nominated for two Grammys: one for “Sunshine” and the other for “Levels.” He is currently ranked No. 7 on DJ Magazine’s Top 100 DJ’s. His greatest hits include “Wake Me Up,” “You Make Me” and “Hey Brother,” just to name a few. He released his second album in October of last year, and it promised to be as well received as his first. Enjoy Avicii performing Saturday at 9:55 pm on the Main Stage, immediately after Afrojack.

David Guetta

David Guetta is one of the best-known artists in EDM. With hits like “Titanium” featuring Sia, “Turn Me On” featuring Nicki Minaj, “Where Them Girls At” featuring Flo Rida and the previously mentioned “Hey Mama.” His first hit was in 2009 with “When Love Takes Over” featuring Kelly Rowland. Since then, he has topped radio charts. In 2013, his album “When Love Takes Over” was dubbed the No. 1 dance-pop collaboration of all time. He also won two Grammys for Best Remixed Non-Classical Recording. End Ultra on a high note by raving with David Guetta on the Main Stage Sunday at 7:25 p.m.

Esther Ponce De Leon

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...