Edge, Music, Ultra

Must-see Ultra performances this weekend

Ultra Music Festival returns to downtown Miami this weekend with a lineup as major as the size of its crowd. While dancing to the electronic beats of deadmau5 and DJ Snake, be sure to check out these big names in electronic dance music (EDM).

Martin Garrix

Start off a weekend-long Ultra adventure with Martin Garrix. Garrix had his first hit “Animals” at the age of 16. Today, at 19 years old, he is ranked No. 3 on DJ Magazine’s Top 100 DJ’s. His other songs include “Tremors” and “Turn up the Speakers.” He recently released a new single, “Now That I’ve Found You” featuring John and Michel. He will perform Friday at 11 p.m. on the Main Stage.

Afrojack

More likely to be behind the scenes than other DJ’s, Afrojack has written, produced, remixed and been featured in a plethora of songs. He made his first debut as Afrojack in 2007. He gained worldwide success with “Take Over Control” featuring Eva Simons. Working on more collaborations, Afrojack soon became a staple in EDM. Perhaps his best-known and most-played song was his partnership with Pitbull in “Give Me Everything.” Afrojack released his first album in 2014, entitled “Forget the World.” Last year he topped the charts again when he collaborated with David Guetta and Nicki Minaj in “Hey Mama.” Afrojack will perform on the Main Stage on Saturday at 8:50 p.m.

Avicii

Avicii released his debut album ‘True” in 2013 and has been nominated for two Grammys: one for “Sunshine” and the other for “Levels.” He is currently ranked No. 7 on DJ Magazine’s Top 100 DJ’s. His greatest hits include “Wake Me Up,” “You Make Me” and “Hey Brother,” just to name a few. He released his second album in October of last year, and it promised to be as well received as his first. Enjoy Avicii performing Saturday at 9:55 pm on the Main Stage, immediately after Afrojack.

David Guetta

David Guetta is one of the best-known artists in EDM. With hits like “Titanium” featuring Sia, “Turn Me On” featuring Nicki Minaj, “Where Them Girls At” featuring Flo Rida and the previously mentioned “Hey Mama.” His first hit was in 2009 with “When Love Takes Over” featuring Kelly Rowland. Since then, he has topped radio charts. In 2013, his album “When Love Takes Over” was dubbed the No. 1 dance-pop collaboration of all time. He also won two Grammys for Best Remixed Non-Classical Recording. End Ultra on a high note by raving with David Guetta on the Main Stage Sunday at 7:25 p.m.

Esther Ponce De Leon

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Defending national champ Clemson led all Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wednesday with five playe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

The University of Miami announced the appointment of Cindy Munro as the new dean of the School of Nu ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...