Basketball, Sports

Miami to play South Dakota State in first round of NCAA Tournament

Junior guard Adrienne Motley (23) drives to the basket during December's home game against Lowell. Motley leads the team in scoring heading into the NCAA Tournament. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

Junior guard Adrienne Motley (23) drives to the basket during December’s home game against Lowell. Motley leads the team in scoring heading into the NCAA Tournament. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

The Hurricanes had a strong showing in the ACC Tournament, defeating rival school Florida State and making it to the semifinals, but they are far from done. The Canes travel to Stanford, California on Wednesday as a No. 5 seed to play No. 12 South Dakota State in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

Head Coach Katie Meier’s squad will look to enter the game the same way they went into the ACC Tournament: scoring efficiently and rebounding the basketball at a high level. In the three games Miami played in Greensboro, North Carolina, the team averaged over 72 points a game and rebounded the ball at an impressive rate. Doing this even gave eventual ACC champion Notre Dame a run for its money.

In order for the Canes (24-8) to carry this high-octane offense into the NCAA Tournament, they must hit their three-pointers. There are not many teams that feed off the momentum of a three ball better than Miami. The Canes average 19.5 threes per game, and the percentage they make usually tells the story of the night on offense.

The guard play of juniors Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas will be vital to the team’s success in the tournament. Miami’s two leading scorers will need to shoot the ball efficiently in order for the team to put up the points necessary to beat top groups such as Notre Dame and Stanford, which UM will likely face if the Canes advance past the first round.

South Dakota State (26-6) is a team that likes to shoot from downtown as well. In two of their last three games, the Jackrabbits made 11 threes on 30-plus attempts. Being a No. 12 seed, South Dakota State is clearly the underdog, so the Jackrabbits will likely launch even more threes in order to keep up with the Canes.

The Canes must assert their dominance by outrebounding the opponent. The Canes have to do this to the Jackrabbits early and often to keep them out of the game. Redshirt junior forward Keyona Hayes, freshman forward Emese Hof and sophomore forward Erykah Davenport are all expected to play big minutes to clean the glass.

The Canes play South Dakota State at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday at Stanford University on ESPN2.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...