Campus Life, International, News, Religious Life

Harvard law school professor Alan Dershowitz discusses Israel affairs at Hillel

Famed lawyer and political commentator Alan Dershowitz lectured about the broad range of issues surrounding Israel at the University of Miami Hillel on Wednesday night.

Dershowitz, who famously served as appellate advisor for the successful defense of O.J. Simpson in his murder trial and also previously defended Mike Tyson, spoke as a self-proclaimed voice of Israel.

“I press the arguments that Tel Avivians and Jerusalemites would agree on,” he said.

Dershowitz was very outspoken in his support of separating the states of Israel and Palestine into individual political bodies, and he feels this stance is common throughout the Middle East.

“I think everybody, on both sides of the conflict, all support the separation of the two states,” he said. “This solution is no harder to achieve today than it was in 1993 [during the Oslo Accords]or 2000 and 2001 [during the Camp David Summit].”

Joey Newfeld, the president of the Hillel, was ecstatic to have Dershowitz speak on campus.

“I think it’s a huge thing, not just for Hillel as an organization but for the students at the University of Miami,” he said.

Dershowitz is currently a professor at Harvard Law School, a position he has held since he was 28 years old, when he was the youngest professor of law in Harvard’s history.

For students eager to learn more about Israel’s history and the nature of the conflict surrounding it, Professor Dershowitz recommended the novel “The Source” by James Michener. Dershowitz himself has published numerous books, including “Taking the Stand: My Life in Law,” and “Abraham: The World’s First (But Certainly Not Last) Jewish Lawyer.”

CorrectionAn extraneous paragraph was appended to this story. 

David Ufberg

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami Hurricanes are set to take on the Toledo Rockets at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Nathan Kuck and Maryam Jawid led the University of Miami cross country program with top 10 finishes ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...