Campus Life, International, News, Religious Life

Harvard law school professor Alan Dershowitz discusses Israel affairs at Hillel

Famed lawyer and political commentator Alan Dershowitz lectured about the broad range of issues surrounding Israel at the University of Miami Hillel on Wednesday night.

Dershowitz, who famously served as appellate advisor for the successful defense of O.J. Simpson in his murder trial and also previously defended Mike Tyson, spoke as a self-proclaimed voice of Israel.

“I press the arguments that Tel Avivians and Jerusalemites would agree on,” he said.

Dershowitz was very outspoken in his support of separating the states of Israel and Palestine into individual political bodies, and he feels this stance is common throughout the Middle East.

“I think everybody, on both sides of the conflict, all support the separation of the two states,” he said. “This solution is no harder to achieve today than it was in 1993 [during the Oslo Accords]or 2000 and 2001 [during the Camp David Summit].”

Joey Newfeld, the president of the Hillel, was ecstatic to have Dershowitz speak on campus.

“I think it’s a huge thing, not just for Hillel as an organization but for the students at the University of Miami,” he said.

Dershowitz is currently a professor at Harvard Law School, a position he has held since he was 28 years old, when he was the youngest professor of law in Harvard’s history.

For students eager to learn more about Israel’s history and the nature of the conflict surrounding it, Professor Dershowitz recommended the novel “The Source” by James Michener. Dershowitz himself has published numerous books, including “Taking the Stand: My Life in Law,” and “Abraham: The World’s First (But Certainly Not Last) Jewish Lawyer.”

CorrectionAn extraneous paragraph was appended to this story. 

David Ufberg

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...