Campus Life, International, News, Religious Life

Harvard law school professor Alan Dershowitz discusses Israel affairs at Hillel

Famed lawyer and political commentator Alan Dershowitz lectured about the broad range of issues surrounding Israel at the University of Miami Hillel on Wednesday night.

Dershowitz, who famously served as appellate advisor for the successful defense of O.J. Simpson in his murder trial and also previously defended Mike Tyson, spoke as a self-proclaimed voice of Israel.

“I press the arguments that Tel Avivians and Jerusalemites would agree on,” he said.

Dershowitz was very outspoken in his support of separating the states of Israel and Palestine into individual political bodies, and he feels this stance is common throughout the Middle East.

“I think everybody, on both sides of the conflict, all support the separation of the two states,” he said. “This solution is no harder to achieve today than it was in 1993 [during the Oslo Accords]or 2000 and 2001 [during the Camp David Summit].”

Joey Newfeld, the president of the Hillel, was ecstatic to have Dershowitz speak on campus.

“I think it’s a huge thing, not just for Hillel as an organization but for the students at the University of Miami,” he said.

Dershowitz is currently a professor at Harvard Law School, a position he has held since he was 28 years old, when he was the youngest professor of law in Harvard’s history.

For students eager to learn more about Israel’s history and the nature of the conflict surrounding it, Professor Dershowitz recommended the novel “The Source” by James Michener. Dershowitz himself has published numerous books, including “Taking the Stand: My Life in Law,” and “Abraham: The World’s First (But Certainly Not Last) Jewish Lawyer.”

CorrectionAn extraneous paragraph was appended to this story. 

David Ufberg

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...