Edge, Music, Ultra

Galantis Q&A features musicians Christian Karlsson, Linus Eklöw

Galantis pumps the crowd up during their set at Lollapalooza last summer. The duo will perform at Ultra this Sunday evening on the Ultra Main Stage in Bayfront Park. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Taking over the Main Stage of Ultra Music Festival this Sunday evening is the electronic dance music (EDM) group Galantis, known for hits like “Runaway” and “Peanut Butter Jelly.” The Miami Hurricane had a chance to speak to members Christian Karlsson and Linus Eklöw during Lollapalooza. Here’s what they had to say about their high-energy music.

The Miami Hurricane: How do you think technology is impacting music today and, in particular, your music?

Christian: I think the impact was a long time ago, and now it’s getting so that everyone, everywhere, anyplace can do whatever. It’s like, you go back to basics again because it’s not any longer a competition like, “who got what new computer.” Everyone’s got everything, so now it’s back to piano, providing a melody and song. I think that’s what happened.

[Technology is] important, especially in the finishing stages. Though, when we use [technology], it doesn’t have an impact on us or what’s making the song good or not. The whole revolution of [EDM] was 10 years ago. Now it’s like we can all make a song from our iPhone. We don’t even think about that. We all do it. It’s not like I could have something the next guy doesn’t have because we all have it. So you go back to the piano and the guitar, and you write a song instead.

TMH: Is there someone you’d like to collaborate with in the near future?

Christian: The perfect collaboration is right here. It’s Christian working with Linus. It’s a very good collaboration.

TMH: What’s your favorite city to play and why?

Linus: That’s a hard one. We’ve been experiencing the whole world as Galantis. Just meeting all our fans from around the globe is an amazing thing, so to call one city out is really hard. To call a show out, we’d have to say the first one we ever did at Coachella. That’s definitely one of the shows that are up there.

Christian: Asia is a market where we haven’t really played. We had an amazing time in Hong Kong, the Philippines and Fuji Rock in Japan. It was amazing.

TMH: What’s your best memory from your performances?

Christian: One experience with a crowd in Norway recently was pretty extraordinary. It was a huge crowd, and they were so going for it that it looked different. It was like an ocean of high energy. It was almost as if there was some weird magic going on. It was really cool. Big props to the Norwegian crazy people.

Hallee Meltzer

Hallee Meltzer can be reached at hmeltzer@themiamihurricane.com.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...