Edge, Music, Ultra

Galantis Q&A features musicians Christian Karlsson, Linus Eklöw

Galantis pumps the crowd up during their set at Lollapalooza last summer. The duo will perform at Ultra this Sunday evening on the Ultra Main Stage in Bayfront Park. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor

Taking over the Main Stage of Ultra Music Festival this Sunday evening is the electronic dance music (EDM) group Galantis, known for hits like “Runaway” and “Peanut Butter Jelly.” The Miami Hurricane had a chance to speak to members Christian Karlsson and Linus Eklöw during Lollapalooza. Here’s what they had to say about their high-energy music.

The Miami Hurricane: How do you think technology is impacting music today and, in particular, your music?

Christian: I think the impact was a long time ago, and now it’s getting so that everyone, everywhere, anyplace can do whatever. It’s like, you go back to basics again because it’s not any longer a competition like, “who got what new computer.” Everyone’s got everything, so now it’s back to piano, providing a melody and song. I think that’s what happened.

[Technology is] important, especially in the finishing stages. Though, when we use [technology], it doesn’t have an impact on us or what’s making the song good or not. The whole revolution of [EDM] was 10 years ago. Now it’s like we can all make a song from our iPhone. We don’t even think about that. We all do it. It’s not like I could have something the next guy doesn’t have because we all have it. So you go back to the piano and the guitar, and you write a song instead.

TMH: Is there someone you’d like to collaborate with in the near future?

Christian: The perfect collaboration is right here. It’s Christian working with Linus. It’s a very good collaboration.

TMH: What’s your favorite city to play and why?

Linus: That’s a hard one. We’ve been experiencing the whole world as Galantis. Just meeting all our fans from around the globe is an amazing thing, so to call one city out is really hard. To call a show out, we’d have to say the first one we ever did at Coachella. That’s definitely one of the shows that are up there.

Christian: Asia is a market where we haven’t really played. We had an amazing time in Hong Kong, the Philippines and Fuji Rock in Japan. It was amazing.

TMH: What’s your best memory from your performances?

Christian: One experience with a crowd in Norway recently was pretty extraordinary. It was a huge crowd, and they were so going for it that it looked different. It was like an ocean of high energy. It was almost as if there was some weird magic going on. It was really cool. Big props to the Norwegian crazy people.

Hallee Meltzer

Hallee Meltzer can be reached at hmeltzer@themiamihurricane.com.

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Defending national champ Clemson led all Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wednesday with five playe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

The University of Miami announced the appointment of Cindy Munro as the new dean of the School of Nu ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...