Dear V

Dear V: Sister’s crush starting to get awkward

The guy I’m dating is great – he’s sweet, caring and has a great sense of humor. My family loves him.

Thing is, someone in my family loves him too much. My younger sister is a freshman in high school and, even though I can’t blame her, she’s developed a crush on my boyfriend. She puts on makeup and perfume in a rush every time he comes over, but then pretends it’s not for him. She ends up eavesdropping on us, trying to find a place to butt in and be part of the conversation. While I’m at my house, it’s virtually impossible to get any alone time with my guy.

I’m not sure what to do. My boyfriend seems to think her little crush is funny, but she’s so preoccupied with impressing him she seems to have lost interest in her own classmates. I’m hoping to help my sister find interest in someone her own age – that would get her mind off of my boyfriend. What should I do?

Sincerely,

Family Feud

Dear Family Feud,

Good on you for not blaming your sister. Sibling rivalries can get rough and when there’s a guy on the line, girls become cutthroat.

Your sister can’t help but get a crush when there’s a cute older boy around. Truth is, girls mature quicker than guys – while most high school guys are still in their awkward phase, picking at zits and hearing cracks in their voice, many girls already look like college grads by the time they hit senior year.

Make sure to ask your boyfriend not to encourage the infatuation. He might think he’s just playing around, but emotions are a big deal for teens and she could end up feeling crushed or humiliated. Instead, ask him to be friendly but treat her the same way as your parents – kind, but with a distance.

Ultimately, it’s up to your sister to find someone she’s interested in, but nudging her along couldn’t hurt. Does she have a prom date? She could make the first move on one of her guy friends and ask him out. Encourage her to put herself out there and take a leap. That might be all she needs to get her eyes back on a prize of her own rather than yours.

Do what you can to remind your sister to look for someone who’s on the market and is her age.

By any chance, does your boyfriend have a younger brother?

-V

Advice Columnist

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...