Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes women’s basketball headed to NCAA Tournament for second consecutive year

For the first time since 2013, the men’s and women’s basketball teams will both be in the NCAA Tournament. In the Lexington Region of the women’s tournament, fifth-seeded Miami will take on No. 12 South Dakota State in the first round Saturday at 6:30 p.m. at Stanford University.

The Sunsations, cheer squads and Hurricanes fans joined the women’s basketball team at the Rathskeller to watch the Women’s Selection Show on ESPN at 7 p.m. Players initially groaned as they waited in angst to see where Miami placed on the bracket. Suddenly, the players hugged each other, jumped and screamed as the rankings of the team and its opponent appeared on the big screen.

Junior guard Jessica Thomas danced in celebration. “We’re in a great position to do big things, so I’m definitely excited,” she said.

Junior guard Adrienne Motley is excited that Miami basketball is finally getting the respect it deserves. “I think everybody’s starting to realize–us and the men–that we are a force to be reckoned with,” the team’s leading scorer said.

The Hurricanes were pleasantly surprised about the high ranking. “The five-seed is great,” Motley said. “We actually thought we were going to be a six-seed, so [to be]the fifth seed is just amazing.”

Head Coach Katie Meier spoke about the attention both teams are getting on campus. “It’s great to have two nights of this … Just walking over here from our BankUnited Center to this place and having people cheer for you is just special,” Meier said. “There were some dark times earlier here, so these are big moments. I will absolutely celebrate this. I’m really proud of them.”

The game will air on ESPN2.

Correction: The post’s title previously stated this was the women’s basketball team’s first trip to the NCAA Tournament since 2013. That is incorrect. The Hurricanes reached the second round of the NCAA Tournament last season.

Chloe Harrison

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...

Miami's Estela Perez-Somarriba will take on No. 64 Ana Oparenovic Wednesday at 8 a.m., while Si ...

Dee Delaney is eligible to play immediately as a graduate transfer from The Citadel, where he was na ...

Joe Gomez played the role of Hurricane hero Tuesday , lifting sixth-seeded Miami to a 6-5 win over 1 ...