Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes women’s basketball headed to NCAA Tournament for second consecutive year

For the first time since 2013, the men’s and women’s basketball teams will both be in the NCAA Tournament. In the Lexington Region of the women’s tournament, fifth-seeded Miami will take on No. 12 South Dakota State in the first round Saturday at 6:30 p.m. at Stanford University.

The Sunsations, cheer squads and Hurricanes fans joined the women’s basketball team at the Rathskeller to watch the Women’s Selection Show on ESPN at 7 p.m. Players initially groaned as they waited in angst to see where Miami placed on the bracket. Suddenly, the players hugged each other, jumped and screamed as the rankings of the team and its opponent appeared on the big screen.

Junior guard Jessica Thomas danced in celebration. “We’re in a great position to do big things, so I’m definitely excited,” she said.

Junior guard Adrienne Motley is excited that Miami basketball is finally getting the respect it deserves. “I think everybody’s starting to realize–us and the men–that we are a force to be reckoned with,” the team’s leading scorer said.

The Hurricanes were pleasantly surprised about the high ranking. “The five-seed is great,” Motley said. “We actually thought we were going to be a six-seed, so [to be]the fifth seed is just amazing.”

Head Coach Katie Meier spoke about the attention both teams are getting on campus. “It’s great to have two nights of this … Just walking over here from our BankUnited Center to this place and having people cheer for you is just special,” Meier said. “There were some dark times earlier here, so these are big moments. I will absolutely celebrate this. I’m really proud of them.”

The game will air on ESPN2.

Correction: The post’s title previously stated this was the women’s basketball team’s first trip to the NCAA Tournament since 2013. That is incorrect. The Hurricanes reached the second round of the NCAA Tournament last season.

Chloe Harrison

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...