Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes women’s basketball headed to NCAA Tournament for second consecutive year

For the first time since 2013, the men’s and women’s basketball teams will both be in the NCAA Tournament. In the Lexington Region of the women’s tournament, fifth-seeded Miami will take on No. 12 South Dakota State in the first round Saturday at 6:30 p.m. at Stanford University.

The Sunsations, cheer squads and Hurricanes fans joined the women’s basketball team at the Rathskeller to watch the Women’s Selection Show on ESPN at 7 p.m. Players initially groaned as they waited in angst to see where Miami placed on the bracket. Suddenly, the players hugged each other, jumped and screamed as the rankings of the team and its opponent appeared on the big screen.

Junior guard Jessica Thomas danced in celebration. “We’re in a great position to do big things, so I’m definitely excited,” she said.

Junior guard Adrienne Motley is excited that Miami basketball is finally getting the respect it deserves. “I think everybody’s starting to realize–us and the men–that we are a force to be reckoned with,” the team’s leading scorer said.

The Hurricanes were pleasantly surprised about the high ranking. “The five-seed is great,” Motley said. “We actually thought we were going to be a six-seed, so [to be]the fifth seed is just amazing.”

Head Coach Katie Meier spoke about the attention both teams are getting on campus. “It’s great to have two nights of this … Just walking over here from our BankUnited Center to this place and having people cheer for you is just special,” Meier said. “There were some dark times earlier here, so these are big moments. I will absolutely celebrate this. I’m really proud of them.”

The game will air on ESPN2.

Correction: The post’s title previously stated this was the women’s basketball team’s first trip to the NCAA Tournament since 2013. That is incorrect. The Hurricanes reached the second round of the NCAA Tournament last season.

Chloe Harrison

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...