Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes men’s basketball earns No. 3 seed in NCAA Tournament

The Hurricanes are the No. 3 seed in the South Region of the NCAA Tournament and will play No. 14 Buffalo (20-14) in Providence, Rhode Island on Thursday.

The Canes (25-7) last went to NCAA Tournament in 2013 as a No. 2 seed and advanced to the Sweet Sixteen before falling to Marquette. This is Miami’s second appearance in the NCAA Tournament since Head Coach Jim Larrañaga took over in 2011.

The other teams in the South Region are: No. 1 Kansas, No. 2 Villanova, No. 4 California, No. 5 Maryland, No. 6 Arizona, No. 7 Iowa, No. 8 St. Joseph’s, No. 9 Cincinnati, No. 10 Temple, No. 11 Vanderbilt/Wichita State, No. 12 South Dakota State, No. 13 Hawaii, No. 15 UNC Asheville and No. 16 Austin Peay.

Miami is coming off one of its best regular seasons ever with 24 wins in the tough ACC. The Canes lost to Virginia, a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament, in the semifinals of the ACC Tournament. Virginia then lost in the ACC Tournament championship game to North Carolina, which is also a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Mark Singer

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...