Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes men’s basketball earns No. 3 seed in NCAA Tournament

The Hurricanes are the No. 3 seed in the South Region of the NCAA Tournament and will play No. 14 Buffalo (20-14) in Providence, Rhode Island on Thursday.

The Canes (25-7) last went to NCAA Tournament in 2013 as a No. 2 seed and advanced to the Sweet Sixteen before falling to Marquette. This is Miami’s second appearance in the NCAA Tournament since Head Coach Jim Larrañaga took over in 2011.

The other teams in the South Region are: No. 1 Kansas, No. 2 Villanova, No. 4 California, No. 5 Maryland, No. 6 Arizona, No. 7 Iowa, No. 8 St. Joseph’s, No. 9 Cincinnati, No. 10 Temple, No. 11 Vanderbilt/Wichita State, No. 12 South Dakota State, No. 13 Hawaii, No. 15 UNC Asheville and No. 16 Austin Peay.

Miami is coming off one of its best regular seasons ever with 24 wins in the tough ACC. The Canes lost to Virginia, a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament, in the semifinals of the ACC Tournament. Virginia then lost in the ACC Tournament championship game to North Carolina, which is also a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

About Author

Mark Singer

Here’s a positive sign for the University of Miami football program: receiver Lawrence Cager appears ...

Tidbits from UM spring football Day 4: • Three of what likely will be UM’s top four corners haven’t ...

You’ve probably seen them: the emotive tweets from University of Miami football coach Mark Richt and ...

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...