Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes men’s basketball earns No. 3 seed in NCAA Tournament

The Hurricanes are the No. 3 seed in the South Region of the NCAA Tournament and will play No. 14 Buffalo (20-14) in Providence, Rhode Island on Thursday.

The Canes (25-7) last went to NCAA Tournament in 2013 as a No. 2 seed and advanced to the Sweet Sixteen before falling to Marquette. This is Miami’s second appearance in the NCAA Tournament since Head Coach Jim Larrañaga took over in 2011.

The other teams in the South Region are: No. 1 Kansas, No. 2 Villanova, No. 4 California, No. 5 Maryland, No. 6 Arizona, No. 7 Iowa, No. 8 St. Joseph’s, No. 9 Cincinnati, No. 10 Temple, No. 11 Vanderbilt/Wichita State, No. 12 South Dakota State, No. 13 Hawaii, No. 15 UNC Asheville and No. 16 Austin Peay.

Miami is coming off one of its best regular seasons ever with 24 wins in the tough ACC. The Canes lost to Virginia, a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament, in the semifinals of the ACC Tournament. Virginia then lost in the ACC Tournament championship game to North Carolina, which is also a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Mark Singer

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...