Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes men’s basketball ready to face Virginia in the ACC Tournament semifinals

WASHINGTON D.C. – After beating Virginia Tech in the quarterfinals, the No. 11 Hurricanes will face the No. 4 Virginia Cavaliers at 9 p.m. Friday night in the Verizon Center. The winner will earn the opportunity to play in the ACC Tournament championship game.

UVA’s strength is on the defensive side of the floor. The Cavaliers are best defensive team in the ACC, only giving up 59.6 points per game. The Cavs are gifted at limiting opponents’ fast break offense and forcing them to play at a slower pace.

One of the few holes in the Cavs’ defense is the ability to protect the three-point line. The team allows opposing offenses to convert on 35 percent of attempts from beyond the arc. When the Canes beat UVA on Feb. 22, they took advantage of the holes in Cavs’ three-point defense. Led by junior guard Davon Reed who shot 5-of-6 from deep in the matchup, the Canes went 10-of-19 on three-pointers. If the third-seeded Canes are going to upset the second-seeded Cavs, Miami will have to continue to drain its threes.

“Defense is what we pride ourselves on,” said UVA redshirt senior guard Malcolm Brogdon on Thursday night. “Even with other great players on opposing teams, it doesn’t matter who it is, we’re going to try to lock them down, we’re going to try to make them uncomfortable and make it a tough night for them.”

The Cavs (25-6, 13-5) are a good defensive team, but their offense is also very efficient. The team leads the ACC in both field goal percentage and three-point field goal percentage. But it is not just one player, as they have an array of weapons that are all threats to score.

Brogdon, who was recently named ACC Defensive Player of the Year, and junior guard London Perrantes can both score with ease. Perrantes is the best sharpshooter in the ACC, converting a league-high 50.4 percent of his triples. Brogdon is an all-around natural scorer who averages more than 18 points per game. Redshirt senior forward Anthony Gill is also a consistent scorer, averaging 13.6 points and 6.1 rebounds per game.

The Canes (25-6, 13-5) are perfect in games played at neutral locations, as they swept the Puerto Rico Tip-Off Tournament earlier this season and beat Virginia Tech on Thursday night. Virginia will treat this matchup like a home game though, as UVA has a strong alumni base in the Washington D.C. metro area.

“It was an awesome crowd out there today. Coming out of the tunnel, I saw those orange shirts. I was just stunned. It was a lot of people out there for us, a lot of support,” Gill said of UVA’s win over Georgia Tech on Thursday.

It has been Miami’s redshirt senior guards Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon McClellan who have carried the Canes all season long, including against the Hokies on Thursday night. If the duo can limit turnovers and hit key shots, the Canes will have a strong chance at beating UVA.

Tej Joshi

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...