Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes men’s basketball ready to face Virginia in the ACC Tournament semifinals

WASHINGTON D.C. – After beating Virginia Tech in the quarterfinals, the No. 11 Hurricanes will face the No. 4 Virginia Cavaliers at 9 p.m. Friday night in the Verizon Center. The winner will earn the opportunity to play in the ACC Tournament championship game.

UVA’s strength is on the defensive side of the floor. The Cavaliers are best defensive team in the ACC, only giving up 59.6 points per game. The Cavs are gifted at limiting opponents’ fast break offense and forcing them to play at a slower pace.

One of the few holes in the Cavs’ defense is the ability to protect the three-point line. The team allows opposing offenses to convert on 35 percent of attempts from beyond the arc. When the Canes beat UVA on Feb. 22, they took advantage of the holes in Cavs’ three-point defense. Led by junior guard Davon Reed who shot 5-of-6 from deep in the matchup, the Canes went 10-of-19 on three-pointers. If the third-seeded Canes are going to upset the second-seeded Cavs, Miami will have to continue to drain its threes.

“Defense is what we pride ourselves on,” said UVA redshirt senior guard Malcolm Brogdon on Thursday night. “Even with other great players on opposing teams, it doesn’t matter who it is, we’re going to try to lock them down, we’re going to try to make them uncomfortable and make it a tough night for them.”

The Cavs (25-6, 13-5) are a good defensive team, but their offense is also very efficient. The team leads the ACC in both field goal percentage and three-point field goal percentage. But it is not just one player, as they have an array of weapons that are all threats to score.

Brogdon, who was recently named ACC Defensive Player of the Year, and junior guard London Perrantes can both score with ease. Perrantes is the best sharpshooter in the ACC, converting a league-high 50.4 percent of his triples. Brogdon is an all-around natural scorer who averages more than 18 points per game. Redshirt senior forward Anthony Gill is also a consistent scorer, averaging 13.6 points and 6.1 rebounds per game.

The Canes (25-6, 13-5) are perfect in games played at neutral locations, as they swept the Puerto Rico Tip-Off Tournament earlier this season and beat Virginia Tech on Thursday night. Virginia will treat this matchup like a home game though, as UVA has a strong alumni base in the Washington D.C. metro area.

“It was an awesome crowd out there today. Coming out of the tunnel, I saw those orange shirts. I was just stunned. It was a lot of people out there for us, a lot of support,” Gill said of UVA’s win over Georgia Tech on Thursday.

It has been Miami’s redshirt senior guards Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon McClellan who have carried the Canes all season long, including against the Hokies on Thursday night. If the duo can limit turnovers and hit key shots, the Canes will have a strong chance at beating UVA.

Tej Joshi

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami Hurricanes are set to take on the Toledo Rockets at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Nathan Kuck and Maryam Jawid led the University of Miami cross country program with top 10 finishes ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...