Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes men’s basketball opens ACC Tournament with 88-82 win over Virginia Tech

Tonye Jekiri (23) is surrounded by his teammates after drawing a foul in the first half against Virginia Tech, March 10, 2016. (Zack Wajsgras / Collegiate Times)

WASHINGTON D.C. — Led by an Angel Rodriguez surge early in the second half, the No. 11 Hurricanes avenged their regular season finale loss to Virginia Tech with an 88-82 victory in the ACC Tournament quarterfinals in Washington D.C. Thursday night.

The redshirt senior point guard had a rough first half, as he got into early foul trouble and scored only two points. However, he came out swinging in the second. In the first four minutes of the period he dropped in 11 points, nine of which came from three-pointers.

“I was just out there taking what the defense was giving me, and it seemed like they were getting a little confused on the ball screens and I had the open shots,” Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez’s second half scoring fury extended the Canes’ lead to 49-38 and was a pivotal moment of the game. Heading into halftime the Canes only led 33-32.

Senior center Tonye Jekiri fouled out with just over five minutes left in the game. Jekiri objected to a personal foul and erupted at the referee to earn a technical for his fifth foul of the night. Before Jekiri exited the contest, the Canes dominated the paint. At halftime, the points in the paint favored Miami 26-14.

Coming into the game, the Canes were expected to have their way in the paint, as the only consistent rebounder on the Hokies’ roster is junior forward Zach LeDay, who averages 7.8 rebounds per game. Jekiri and redshirt junior forward Kamari Murphy handled Leday, who only had four points and one rebound before Jekiri was disqualified.

However, Jekiri’s absence opened the door for LeDay, as he recorded another eight points and two rebounds in the final five minutes of the game.

Even though Jekiri fouled out with more than five minutes left, Head Coach Jim Larrañaga decided to never put reserve big man senior Ivan Cruz Uceda into the game. Larrañaga attributed Uceda’s lack of playing time to him being a poor matchup for VT’s quick speedy athletes.

The Canes (25-6, 13-5) shot a blazing hot 57 percent from the field. Much of their success can be attributed to their quick and decisive ball movement. The Canes dropped an impressive 18 dimes, led by Rodriguez who had seven himself.

Senior redshirt guard Sheldon McClellan led the way for the Canes, scoring 21 points.

Sophomore guard Ja’Quan Newton had missed the final three games of the regular season, but he returned strong Thursday night. Newton added 10 points and four assists.

One area where the Canes can improve is fouling. They sent VT (19-14, 10-8) to line 31 times.

“One of the things I am little concerned with: We are top-20 in the country in not fouling. We have worked so hard as a team and as defensive players to learn the importance of not fouling,” Larrañaga said.

The Canes will take on Virginia Friday night in an ACC Tournament semifinal contest. Tip-off is slated for 9 p.m., but if the preceding North Carolina-Notre Dame matchup goes long the game start may be pushed back.

Tej Joshi

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...