Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes men’s basketball prepares to face Virginia Tech in ACC Tournament quarterfinals

The No. 11 Hurricanes (24-6, 13-5) will look to avenge its regular season finale loss to the Virginia Tech Hokies in Thursday night’s ACC Tournament quarterfinal matchup in Washington D.C. The Canes have been preparing all week long at Head Coach Jim Larrañaga’s former school George Mason, which he led to the Final Four 10 years ago.

The third-seeded Canes finished an impressive 13-5 in the ACC this regular season, but the team will be hungry to beat VT, as the Canes would have had a share of the regular season ACC title if it had beaten the Hokies last time out.

Although the Canes are the favorites to win over the sixth-seeded Hokies with a nine-point line, VT poses a serious threat to Miami. The Hokies have been an up-and-down streaky team all season long, but the team is on a hot streak right now, winning the last six games. The Hokies have been sharp from beyond the arc recently, led by sophomore guard Justin Bibbs who is second in the ACC in three-point percentage at 47 percent.

The Canes will need its perimeter wing defenders like junior guard Davon Reed and redshirt senior guard Sheldon McClellan to be aggressive and contest every jump shot. Both Reed and McCllelan, along with sophomore guard Ja’Quan Newton off the bench, are all extremely athletic guards.

The Hokies (19-13, 10-8) are a smaller team with three guards, two forwards and no true center. The only true threat on the boards is junior forward Zach Leday, who averages 7.7 rebounds per game. The Canes should be able to dominate the paint, as both senior center Tonye Jekiri and redshirt junior forward Kamari Murphy are an imposing presence near the basket. Jekiri, who stands at seven feet, averages 9.1 rebounds a game, and VT has no real option to defend him in the post.

The Hokies will likely switch to a 2-3 zone defense to deal with Miami’s post-game at certain junctures throughout the game. Over the course of the season, the Canes have consistently shown that it can beat the zone, led by redshirt senior point guard Angel Rodriguez’s dribble penetration.

The Canes will be well-rested heading into the game, as the team has been off since March 5, but one Cane will be particularly fresh. Newton was suspended the final three game of the regular season. The Canes will welcome his return, as they have lacked depth at the point guard position in his absence.

Tip-off is set for 9 p.m., but the game could start late if the preceding Virginia-Georgia Tech matchup runs long.

Tej Joshi

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...