Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes men’s basketball prepares to face Virginia Tech in ACC Tournament quarterfinals

The No. 11 Hurricanes (24-6, 13-5) will look to avenge its regular season finale loss to the Virginia Tech Hokies in Thursday night’s ACC Tournament quarterfinal matchup in Washington D.C. The Canes have been preparing all week long at Head Coach Jim Larrañaga’s former school George Mason, which he led to the Final Four 10 years ago.

The third-seeded Canes finished an impressive 13-5 in the ACC this regular season, but the team will be hungry to beat VT, as the Canes would have had a share of the regular season ACC title if it had beaten the Hokies last time out.

Although the Canes are the favorites to win over the sixth-seeded Hokies with a nine-point line, VT poses a serious threat to Miami. The Hokies have been an up-and-down streaky team all season long, but the team is on a hot streak right now, winning the last six games. The Hokies have been sharp from beyond the arc recently, led by sophomore guard Justin Bibbs who is second in the ACC in three-point percentage at 47 percent.

The Canes will need its perimeter wing defenders like junior guard Davon Reed and redshirt senior guard Sheldon McClellan to be aggressive and contest every jump shot. Both Reed and McCllelan, along with sophomore guard Ja’Quan Newton off the bench, are all extremely athletic guards.

The Hokies (19-13, 10-8) are a smaller team with three guards, two forwards and no true center. The only true threat on the boards is junior forward Zach Leday, who averages 7.7 rebounds per game. The Canes should be able to dominate the paint, as both senior center Tonye Jekiri and redshirt junior forward Kamari Murphy are an imposing presence near the basket. Jekiri, who stands at seven feet, averages 9.1 rebounds a game, and VT has no real option to defend him in the post.

The Hokies will likely switch to a 2-3 zone defense to deal with Miami’s post-game at certain junctures throughout the game. Over the course of the season, the Canes have consistently shown that it can beat the zone, led by redshirt senior point guard Angel Rodriguez’s dribble penetration.

The Canes will be well-rested heading into the game, as the team has been off since March 5, but one Cane will be particularly fresh. Newton was suspended the final three game of the regular season. The Canes will welcome his return, as they have lacked depth at the point guard position in his absence.

Tip-off is set for 9 p.m., but the game could start late if the preceding Virginia-Georgia Tech matchup runs long.

Tej Joshi

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Some UM football nuggets on a Friday: • Evan Shirreffs is an amiable, well-mannered, studious young ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...

Due to anticipated inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and ...

Shakima Wimbley and Aiyanna Stiverne punched their tickets to the 2017 NCAA Men's and Women ...

Photos from the Canes 5-2 win over Wake Forest. ...