Campus Life, National News, News

Bernie Sanders supporters outline national, Florida campaign strategy

It seems many students are “feeling the Bern” in Coral Gables. The University of Miami’s Young and College Democrats, in partnership with Canes for Bernie, coordinated an event Friday night to organize and rally Bernie Sanders supporters at UM into action.

The event, hosted in the Senate Room of the Shalala Student Center, was held with the help of special guest Masha Mendieta, a UM alumna working on the Sanders campaign. According to Mendieta, the Latino Outreach Strategist for the Sanders campaign, the purpose of the rally was to brief Sanders’s supporters on the status of the campaign both on a nation-wide level as well as here in Florida.

When outlining the strategy in Florida, Mendieta emphasized the simple staff structure that will rely heavily on volunteers. Volunteering for the campaign, Mendieta said, would primarily involve phone banking and collecting information about potential and current supporters.

The audience, including individuals of diverse ages and ethnicities, was eager to sign up to help the Sanders campaign in any way they could, feeding off Mendieta’s energy and enthusiasm.

When asked about the event, Dylan Swart, a senior neuroscience major who is also the president of the University of Miami Young and College Democrats, noted the nearly packed Shalala Student Center Senate Room.

Swart said the crowded room was a wonderful turnout from members of the university community and the greater Miami community. When they asked for students who would be interested in volunteering, the response was immediate.

“Fifteen hands shot right up and were ready to go,” Swart said.

Looking ahead, Mendieta mentioned potential outreach events planned for International Women’s Day on March 8, as well as a possible rally before the Univision Democratic Debate taking place on March 9 at the Miami Dade College Kendall Campus.

Mendieta finished the rally on an emotional note. She stressed that though two individuals may appear different on the outside, they are both marginalized in different ways.

“We are all part of the 99 percent,” she said.

Her final point was a simple, but poignant message reminding the audience why they attended the event.

“You are here to start a political revolution,” Mendieta said.

Feature photo by Staff Illustrator Thalia Garcia. 

About Author

Dana McGeehan

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Bernie Sanders supporters outline national, Florida campaign strategy”

1. Sandy Steubing says:

Hello young people from this oldster in NY. Please turn out tomorrow in Yuuuuuge numbers to vote for Bernie. We might not win FL but we can close the margins and get more delegates IF YOU VOTE. Thanks!

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...