Campus Life, National News, News

Bernie Sanders supporters outline national, Florida campaign strategy

It seems many students are “feeling the Bern” in Coral Gables. The University of Miami’s Young and College Democrats, in partnership with Canes for Bernie, coordinated an event Friday night to organize and rally Bernie Sanders supporters at UM into action.

The event, hosted in the Senate Room of the Shalala Student Center, was held with the help of special guest Masha Mendieta, a UM alumna working on the Sanders campaign. According to Mendieta, the Latino Outreach Strategist for the Sanders campaign, the purpose of the rally was to brief Sanders’s supporters on the status of the campaign both on a nation-wide level as well as here in Florida.

When outlining the strategy in Florida, Mendieta emphasized the simple staff structure that will rely heavily on volunteers. Volunteering for the campaign, Mendieta said, would primarily involve phone banking and collecting information about potential and current supporters.

The audience, including individuals of diverse ages and ethnicities, was eager to sign up to help the Sanders campaign in any way they could, feeding off Mendieta’s energy and enthusiasm.

When asked about the event, Dylan Swart, a senior neuroscience major who is also the president of the University of Miami Young and College Democrats, noted the nearly packed Shalala Student Center Senate Room.

Swart said the crowded room was a wonderful turnout from members of the university community and the greater Miami community. When they asked for students who would be interested in volunteering, the response was immediate.

“Fifteen hands shot right up and were ready to go,” Swart said.

Looking ahead, Mendieta mentioned potential outreach events planned for International Women’s Day on March 8, as well as a possible rally before the Univision Democratic Debate taking place on March 9 at the Miami Dade College Kendall Campus.

Mendieta finished the rally on an emotional note. She stressed that though two individuals may appear different on the outside, they are both marginalized in different ways.

“We are all part of the 99 percent,” she said.

Her final point was a simple, but poignant message reminding the audience why they attended the event.

“You are here to start a political revolution,” Mendieta said.

Feature photo by Staff Illustrator Thalia Garcia. 

Dana McGeehan

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Bernie Sanders supporters outline national, Florida campaign strategy”

1. Sandy Steubing says:

Hello young people from this oldster in NY. Please turn out tomorrow in Yuuuuuge numbers to vote for Bernie. We might not win FL but we can close the margins and get more delegates IF YOU VOTE. Thanks!

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami Hurricanes are set to take on the Toledo Rockets at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Nathan Kuck and Maryam Jawid led the University of Miami cross country program with top 10 finishes ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...