Campus Life, News

Favor app delivers food from UM’s on-campus restaurants

Students’ lives can often be hectic, with time commitments making meals shorter, quicker or more rushed than some would want. Now UM Dining Services and Student Government has helped eliminate that problem by partnering with a mobile app, Favor, that delivers food from any of the university’s retail eateries to the students themselves.

Officially launched on Feb. 1, Favor is similar to the food delivery app Postmates, but Favor is for the UM community, and anyone on campus can have food from Pollo Tropical, Sushi Maki, Panda Express and more delivered to them. The app was originally launched in Austin, Texas in 2013 and has already scaled to 18 different cities in the nation in order to help faculty, staff and students have easy access to campus food that they may not have the time to grab themselves.

Another app that has seen success on campus was Tapingo, which allows students an faculty to pre-order ready-to-go-meals on campus. Building on that success, Student Government liaison for dining services, Rylee Bowles, thought about what could be improved to benefit those with busy schedules.

“We felt there was a huge necessity for delivery, whether you’re studying in the library for finals or don’t have a moment to come up for air from a project,” Bowles said. “Facilitating a delivery program was a high priority in our initiatives this semester.”

Bowles has been working on this initiative for two years and is now seeing her hard work benefit the campus.

Bowles’ duties also include creating a better bookstore experience for the campus and with the launch of Favor, she managed to see another of her initiatives successfully passed. After spring break, all UM veterans will be able to get a 10 percent discount at the bookstores.

The discount is applicable for soft goods, textbooks and current sale items. The discount will not apply to technology. This is the same discount that faculty and staff receive. In order to receive the discount, veterans must show ID and proof of their veteran status.

“We should support and express our thanks to those who have offered up their time for the sake of our nation,” Bowles said. “Giving them a bookstore discount was an easy way to show an appreciable token of our gratitude.”

While the veteran discounts will be in effect after spring break, Favor is ready download now. By downloading the app on smartphones, users can request any order from UM dining retail locations, excluding the Outtakes convenience store, and wait until their delivery arrives.

The app has averaged around 30 deliveries per week since it first started. It operates from 11 a.m. to midnight, and food can be delivered from any eatery on campus for $3 and any eatery off campus for $6.

Users can have their first delivery service waived by entering the code: UOFMIAMI.

The app has already benefited many people with busy schedules. Commuter student Rafael Castillo said that the app has saved him the hassle of going to get food numerous times.

“My days in school are either studying in the library, [University Center], or classes and sometimes I rather not waste time getting food,” Castillo said. “Favor delivers the food to me wherever I am. It is such a useful app.”

Correction, March 4, 2016: This article originally stated that the app delivers “to anywhere on campus for $3 and anywhere off campus for $6,” which is incorrect. The app delivers food from any eatery on campus for $3 and any eatery off campus for $6.

Marcus Lim

Ritika Malkani

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...