Campus Life, Community, National News, News

Voter registration, early voting open in Florida

The Florida Democratic and Republican primaries are coming up on March 15 in Florida. Here is information on how students can vote around campus.

Registering

The deadline to register to vote is 29 days before the election. Out-of-state students can register to vote in Florida if they have a Social Security Number. Get Out the Vote hosts voter-registration drives every Monday and Wednesday from 12-2 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio.

Voting

Early voting is a convenient option for students with scheduling conflicts or for those who want to avoid the lines, according to Get Out the Vote Vice President Trevor Goley, a freshman at the University of Miami. Early voting has already begun and will run until the regular voting cycle begins. The nearest station for early voting is the Coral Gables Library.

The closest station for students who live in the residential halls to vote is the BankUnited Center. Students who live in the University Village and fraternity houses can vote at St. Augustine Church and Catholic Student Center. Both stations are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

What to Bring

Photo identification

Why to Vote

The University of Miami undergraduate population is about 11,000 students. Goley said this is a power that students should not underestimate when it comes to making their voices heard.

“Our voice gets put into the town. The university has the power to change the voice in the town,” Goley said.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...