Campus Life, Community, National News, News

Voter registration, early voting open in Florida

The Florida Democratic and Republican primaries are coming up on March 15 in Florida. Here is information on how students can vote around campus.

Registering

The deadline to register to vote is 29 days before the election. Out-of-state students can register to vote in Florida if they have a Social Security Number. Get Out the Vote hosts voter-registration drives every Monday and Wednesday from 12-2 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio.

Voting

Early voting is a convenient option for students with scheduling conflicts or for those who want to avoid the lines, according to Get Out the Vote Vice President Trevor Goley, a freshman at the University of Miami. Early voting has already begun and will run until the regular voting cycle begins. The nearest station for early voting is the Coral Gables Library.

The closest station for students who live in the residential halls to vote is the BankUnited Center. Students who live in the University Village and fraternity houses can vote at St. Augustine Church and Catholic Student Center. Both stations are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

What to Bring

Photo identification

Why to Vote

The University of Miami undergraduate population is about 11,000 students. Goley said this is a power that students should not underestimate when it comes to making their voices heard.

“Our voice gets put into the town. The university has the power to change the voice in the town,” Goley said.

About Author

Isabella Cueto

Here’s a positive sign for the University of Miami football program: receiver Lawrence Cager appears ...

Tidbits from UM spring football Day 4: • Three of what likely will be UM’s top four corners haven’t ...

You’ve probably seen them: the emotive tweets from University of Miami football coach Mark Richt and ...

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...