Campus Life, Community, National News, News

Voter registration, early voting open in Florida

The Florida Democratic and Republican primaries are coming up on March 15 in Florida. Here is information on how students can vote around campus.

Registering

The deadline to register to vote is 29 days before the election. Out-of-state students can register to vote in Florida if they have a Social Security Number. Get Out the Vote hosts voter-registration drives every Monday and Wednesday from 12-2 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio.

Voting

Early voting is a convenient option for students with scheduling conflicts or for those who want to avoid the lines, according to Get Out the Vote Vice President Trevor Goley, a freshman at the University of Miami. Early voting has already begun and will run until the regular voting cycle begins. The nearest station for early voting is the Coral Gables Library.

The closest station for students who live in the residential halls to vote is the BankUnited Center. Students who live in the University Village and fraternity houses can vote at St. Augustine Church and Catholic Student Center. Both stations are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

What to Bring

Photo identification

Why to Vote

The University of Miami undergraduate population is about 11,000 students. Goley said this is a power that students should not underestimate when it comes to making their voices heard.

“Our voice gets put into the town. The university has the power to change the voice in the town,” Goley said.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...