Campus Life, Community, National News, News

Voter registration, early voting open in Florida

The Florida Democratic and Republican primaries are coming up on March 15 in Florida. Here is information on how students can vote around campus.

Registering

The deadline to register to vote is 29 days before the election. Out-of-state students can register to vote in Florida if they have a Social Security Number. Get Out the Vote hosts voter-registration drives every Monday and Wednesday from 12-2 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio.

Voting

Early voting is a convenient option for students with scheduling conflicts or for those who want to avoid the lines, according to Get Out the Vote Vice President Trevor Goley, a freshman at the University of Miami. Early voting has already begun and will run until the regular voting cycle begins. The nearest station for early voting is the Coral Gables Library.

The closest station for students who live in the residential halls to vote is the BankUnited Center. Students who live in the University Village and fraternity houses can vote at St. Augustine Church and Catholic Student Center. Both stations are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

What to Bring

Photo identification

Why to Vote

The University of Miami undergraduate population is about 11,000 students. Goley said this is a power that students should not underestimate when it comes to making their voices heard.

“Our voice gets put into the town. The university has the power to change the voice in the town,” Goley said.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...