Campus Life, Community, National News, News

Republican primary debate will be held on Coral Gables campus

Design by Emma Deardorff

Design by Emma Deardorff

The University of Miami will host the Republican primary debate for the first time in its history at the BankUnited Center (BUC) on March 10, just five days before the Florida primary.

UM “aggressively pursued” this opportunity, according to Rudy Fernandez, chief of staff to President Frenk and vice president for government and community relations.

“When CNN came calling, we engaged in a discussion with them,” Fernandez said. “We were lucky enough to convince [CNN] to host it here at the University of Miami.”

Although the BankUnited Center holds more than 8,000 seats, only about 2,000 will be used on the night of the debate. Of those 2,000, Fernandez said that about 10 percent were allotted to UM and the rest remained under CNN’s control.

“We had to divide the very few tickets that … we had among the various constituencies, first and foremost, the students,” he said.

About 60 tickets were available to students through a random lottery. The rest of the tickets were distributed among trustee board members, faculty and alumni.

President Frenk will also attend, but has not endorsed any candidate or party.

“He doesn’t necessarily support any one political inclination or philosophy,” Fernandez said.

While this is UM’s first time hosting a G.O.P. primary debate, the BUC has seen its fair share of political discourse. The university hosted a debate between Mitt Romney and President Barack Obama in 2012, an early-stage democratic primary debate in 2007 and a debate between John Kerry and former president George Bush in 2004.

Fernandez said the event presents a unique opportunity for UM.

“Obviously, the most important aspect is allowing the university community to experience not just the debate, but being at the center of the democratic process for a couple of days,” he said.

Fernandez also addressed the aggressive nature of past G.O.P. primary debates.

About Author

David Ufberg

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Republican primary debate will be held on Coral Gables campus”

1. John says:

60, 60… 60 students out of a 15,000 student body.

Because CNN needed to fill 1,800 (EIGHTEEN HUNDRED!) seats.

I’m sorry, but that’s just plain ridiculous.

Who are all these people, what are they doing? Seriously.

Here’s a positive sign for the University of Miami football program: receiver Lawrence Cager appears ...

Tidbits from UM spring football Day 4: • Three of what likely will be UM’s top four corners haven’t ...

You’ve probably seen them: the emotive tweets from University of Miami football coach Mark Richt and ...

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...