Campus Life, Community, National News, News

Republican primary debate will be held on Coral Gables campus

Design by Emma Deardorff

Design by Emma Deardorff

The University of Miami will host the Republican primary debate for the first time in its history at the BankUnited Center (BUC) on March 10, just five days before the Florida primary.

UM “aggressively pursued” this opportunity, according to Rudy Fernandez, chief of staff to President Frenk and vice president for government and community relations.

“When CNN came calling, we engaged in a discussion with them,” Fernandez said. “We were lucky enough to convince [CNN] to host it here at the University of Miami.”

Although the BankUnited Center holds more than 8,000 seats, only about 2,000 will be used on the night of the debate. Of those 2,000, Fernandez said that about 10 percent were allotted to UM and the rest remained under CNN’s control.

“We had to divide the very few tickets that … we had among the various constituencies, first and foremost, the students,” he said.

About 60 tickets were available to students through a random lottery. The rest of the tickets were distributed among trustee board members, faculty and alumni.

President Frenk will also attend, but has not endorsed any candidate or party.

“He doesn’t necessarily support any one political inclination or philosophy,” Fernandez said.

While this is UM’s first time hosting a G.O.P. primary debate, the BUC has seen its fair share of political discourse. The university hosted a debate between Mitt Romney and President Barack Obama in 2012, an early-stage democratic primary debate in 2007 and a debate between John Kerry and former president George Bush in 2004.

Fernandez said the event presents a unique opportunity for UM.

“Obviously, the most important aspect is allowing the university community to experience not just the debate, but being at the center of the democratic process for a couple of days,” he said.

Fernandez also addressed the aggressive nature of past G.O.P. primary debates.

David Ufberg

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Republican primary debate will be held on Coral Gables campus”

1. John says:

60, 60… 60 students out of a 15,000 student body.

Because CNN needed to fill 1,800 (EIGHTEEN HUNDRED!) seats.

I’m sorry, but that’s just plain ridiculous.

Who are all these people, what are they doing? Seriously.

The name conjures images of tranquil waters, lush palm trees and cool breezes. The faces conjure ima ...

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...