Campus Life, Community, National News, News

Republican primary debate will be held on Coral Gables campus

Design by Emma Deardorff

Design by Emma Deardorff

The University of Miami will host the Republican primary debate for the first time in its history at the BankUnited Center (BUC) on March 10, just five days before the Florida primary.

UM “aggressively pursued” this opportunity, according to Rudy Fernandez, chief of staff to President Frenk and vice president for government and community relations.

“When CNN came calling, we engaged in a discussion with them,” Fernandez said. “We were lucky enough to convince [CNN] to host it here at the University of Miami.”

Although the BankUnited Center holds more than 8,000 seats, only about 2,000 will be used on the night of the debate. Of those 2,000, Fernandez said that about 10 percent were allotted to UM and the rest remained under CNN’s control.

“We had to divide the very few tickets that … we had among the various constituencies, first and foremost, the students,” he said.

About 60 tickets were available to students through a random lottery. The rest of the tickets were distributed among trustee board members, faculty and alumni.

President Frenk will also attend, but has not endorsed any candidate or party.

“He doesn’t necessarily support any one political inclination or philosophy,” Fernandez said.

While this is UM’s first time hosting a G.O.P. primary debate, the BUC has seen its fair share of political discourse. The university hosted a debate between Mitt Romney and President Barack Obama in 2012, an early-stage democratic primary debate in 2007 and a debate between John Kerry and former president George Bush in 2004.

Fernandez said the event presents a unique opportunity for UM.

“Obviously, the most important aspect is allowing the university community to experience not just the debate, but being at the center of the democratic process for a couple of days,” he said.

Fernandez also addressed the aggressive nature of past G.O.P. primary debates.

David Ufberg

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Republican primary debate will be held on Coral Gables campus”

1. John says:

60, 60… 60 students out of a 15,000 student body.

Because CNN needed to fill 1,800 (EIGHTEEN HUNDRED!) seats.

I’m sorry, but that’s just plain ridiculous.

Who are all these people, what are they doing? Seriously.

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...