Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes dominate Notre Dame 68-50

The Hurricanes inched closer to clinching at least a share of the ACC regular-season title with their 68-50 win over the Notre Dame Fighting Irish in South Bend on Wednesday night. If Miami beats Virginia Tech on Saturday and North Carolina loses to Duke, the two teams would be co-champions for the ACC regular-season title.

Led by the play of redshirt senior guards Angel Rodriguez and Sheldon McClellan, the Canes dominated the Irish on both ends of the court. Rodriguez scored 19 points and added five boards and four assists, while McClellan dropped in 17 points and six rebounds.

Rodriguez not only led the Canes offensively, but he did a great job defending Notre Dame’s Demetrius Jackson, who leads the Irish (19-10, 10-7) in scoring at 16.3 points per game. Rodriguez bottled the crafty guard up, limiting him to seven points on 3-of-13 shooting from the field.

Senior center Tonye Jekiri had a tough matchup against Notre Dame’s center Zach Auguste, who is second in the ACC in rebounding. Both big men played well, but statistically Auguste had the better night with 18 points and 11 rebounds to Jekiri’s 14 and nine. However, on the court Jekiri was visibly the better defender, as he was key in the Canes’ pick and roll defense and he altered many shots in the paint.

The second half of the game was not competitive, as the Canes built a large lead in the first. Rodriguez’s play was pivotal throughout the night, but his work in the early going was essential to the Canes’ early lead. He accounted for Miami’s first seven points.

The Canes continued to dominate the first half, as they were up 25-8 at the midway point. Notre Dame responded by switching to a 2-3 zone defense, which slowed the Canes down on offense. Miami went scoreless the next three minutes, but still went into the breakup 35-22.

McClellan has been one of the top shooters in the nation all season long. He hit two deep NBA triples in the game that silenced the Notre Dame crowd.

The Canes (24-5, 13-4) were without sophomore guard Ja’Quan Newton, who was suspended for the final three regular season games due to a violation of team rules last Saturday. Newton scored 12 points off the bench in Miami’s 79-70 win over Notre Dame in Coral Gables last month.

The Canes finish their regular season against Virginia Tech at 4 p.m. on Saturday in Blacksburg, Virginia.

Tej Joshi

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...