Dear V

Dear V: Part-time girlfriend, part-time therapist

My boyfriend and I grew up together, but we only started dating a few years ago when his ex-girlfriend left him. When I started seeing my boyfriend, his ex warned me he’s “too much to handle.” I didn’t know what she meant until now.

My boyfriend has chronic depression and has been diagnosed for years. I do everything I can to help – I drive him to therapy appointments, make sure he’s taking his meds and check in with him often.

I know he’s not doing it on purpose, but it feels like I’m the only one putting effort into our relationship. He barely calls and is MIA for days at a time. I love my boyfriend, but he’s bringing me down. What should I do?

Sincerely,

Not His Therapist

Dear Not His Therapist,

Depression, like any mental illness, is just as real as a physical illness. Remember to treat his depression like you would if he had the flu or had broken a leg and avoid becoming resentful toward him.

That said, it’s not your responsibility to be his therapist, or even his mother for that matter. Sure, it’s nice of you to drive him to appointments and help him out with his prescriptions, but remember that you’re doing it out of kindness, not out of responsibility.

Many people who suffer from depression have “peaks” when they’re productive that are followed by “slumps” that go on for weeks. Simple tasks like taking a shower or doing laundry feel like climbing mountains. Ultimately, during these dark periods, your relationship with him suffers.

If you can adjust to these cycles and learn not to view it as a sign that your relationship is failing, it will make you stronger and closer to him in the long run. However, if you find that he’s bringing you down when he’s distant and that your own needs aren’t being met, it’s time to move on.

It doesn’t mean you don’t love him or that you’re abandoning someone in need. Like your boyfriend’s ex said, it simply becomes unmanageable and affects your own mental health and happiness.

No relationship, no matter how long you’ve been together or how much you love each other, is worth sacrificing your own happiness. Sure, every couple endures bumps in the road, but if the relationship isn’t bringing you pleasure and is hurtful to you, it’s not worth holding onto.

Work on keeping yourself happy, healthy and satisfied – and care for your boyfriend second. If you find that you can’t keep the relationship going, then break it off. Be there for him as a friend and make sure he knows you still care about him, but don’t let his depression pull you down with him.

-V

Advice Columnist

You’ve got to expect the Las Vegas sportsbooks to come strong and smart with two days of Florida col ...

Here’s why UM moving up to No. 2 in the CFP poll was important, for reasons that extend beyond Canes ...

You think you’ve got a lot of cooking to do to prepare for Thanksgiving dinner? Imagine how busy the ...

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

At the entrance of the University of Miami’s Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic S ...

UM Police Department's Innovative Fundraiser Sells Abandoned Bikes to Support United Way ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

Dewan Huell scored a career-high 16 points as the Canes defeated La Salle in Reading, Pa. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team had to break a 10-year-old record to overcome sturdy Georgia ...

Here are three matchups to watch as the No. 2 Hurricanes face Pitt with a chance to finish the regul ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...

The Miami women's basketball team's annual Miami Thanksgiving Tournament begins Friday at ...