Campus Life, Greek Life, News

Philanthropy Day raises money for nonprofit organization United Cerebral Palsy

Freshman Serena Tovar-Otis of Tri Delta sorority rows during Greek Week's Philanthropy Day Thursday at the Rock to raise money for United Cerebral Palsy. Erum Kidwai // Staff Photographer

Freshman Serena Tovar-Otis of Tri Delta sorority rows during Greek Week’s Philanthropy Day Thursday at the Rock to raise money for United Cerebral Palsy. Erum Kidwai // Staff Photographer

Students gathered on the Green and the Rock to joust and row for charity on Thursday as a part of Greek Week.

Eight teams of sororities and fraternities from the Panhellenic Association and Interfraternity Council participated in different games and competitions as part of Philanthropy Day to raise money for United Cerebral Palsy (UCP) and earn points toward their Greek Week totals. Students bought tickets and were able to play games, including dunking fraternity members in a tank of water and testing their jousting skills in an inflatable arena. Greek Row was an especially popular event, with students showing off their stamina and strength on rowing machines to earn points for their teams.

On Saturday, Team America – Beta Theta Pi, Alpha Delta Pi and Alpha Sigma Phi – was announced as the winner of both Philanthropy Day and the entire week’s competition.

It was the camaraderie of Greek Week that was most important to some of the participants.

“It was a lot of fun planning Greek Week and working with people from all different Panhellenic and Interfraternity Council organizations over the past few months,” said Sarah Potter, a junior in Delta Pi Epsilon.

Luis Espino, Kappa Sigma’s Greek Week chair, enjoyed the united effort of philanthropy.

“[We] try to embody what we are all about as a fraternity, and participating in philanthropy events is one of the core principles we believe in,” Espino said. “Whether it’s giving blood, donating money online [or]participating in the more fun events such as Organized Cheer, our fraternity appreciates how Greek Week includes a philanthropy all Greeks can get behind on a united front.”

Teams also expressed their enthusiasm about raising money for a cause.

“PiKapp is really excited to be participating in Greek Week this year. Not only are the week’s events a great way to bring the Greek community   together, but the philanthropy we are supporting hits close to home for us,” said Chris Ryan, the philanthropy chair for Pi Kappa Phi. “UCP helps people all over who suffer from the debilitating disease of cerebral palsy.”

Brianna Hernandez

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...