Campus Life, Greek Life, News

Philanthropy Day raises money for nonprofit organization United Cerebral Palsy

Freshman Serena Tovar-Otis of Tri Delta sorority rows during Greek Week's Philanthropy Day Thursday at the Rock to raise money for United Cerebral Palsy. Erum Kidwai // Staff Photographer

Freshman Serena Tovar-Otis of Tri Delta sorority rows during Greek Week’s Philanthropy Day Thursday at the Rock to raise money for United Cerebral Palsy. Erum Kidwai // Staff Photographer

Students gathered on the Green and the Rock to joust and row for charity on Thursday as a part of Greek Week.

Eight teams of sororities and fraternities from the Panhellenic Association and Interfraternity Council participated in different games and competitions as part of Philanthropy Day to raise money for United Cerebral Palsy (UCP) and earn points toward their Greek Week totals. Students bought tickets and were able to play games, including dunking fraternity members in a tank of water and testing their jousting skills in an inflatable arena. Greek Row was an especially popular event, with students showing off their stamina and strength on rowing machines to earn points for their teams.

On Saturday, Team America – Beta Theta Pi, Alpha Delta Pi and Alpha Sigma Phi – was announced as the winner of both Philanthropy Day and the entire week’s competition.

It was the camaraderie of Greek Week that was most important to some of the participants.

“It was a lot of fun planning Greek Week and working with people from all different Panhellenic and Interfraternity Council organizations over the past few months,” said Sarah Potter, a junior in Delta Pi Epsilon.

Luis Espino, Kappa Sigma’s Greek Week chair, enjoyed the united effort of philanthropy.

“[We] try to embody what we are all about as a fraternity, and participating in philanthropy events is one of the core principles we believe in,” Espino said. “Whether it’s giving blood, donating money online [or]participating in the more fun events such as Organized Cheer, our fraternity appreciates how Greek Week includes a philanthropy all Greeks can get behind on a united front.”

Teams also expressed their enthusiasm about raising money for a cause.

“PiKapp is really excited to be participating in Greek Week this year. Not only are the week’s events a great way to bring the Greek community   together, but the philanthropy we are supporting hits close to home for us,” said Chris Ryan, the philanthropy chair for Pi Kappa Phi. “UCP helps people all over who suffer from the debilitating disease of cerebral palsy.”

Brianna Hernandez

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...