Basketball, Sports

Miami ends regular season with tough 70-67 loss to FSU

SPORTS_WomensBasketballTHISONE_EK

The No. 17 Hurricanes’ regular season ended on a sour note with a 70-67 loss to No. 12 Florida State in Tallahassee on Sunday afternoon.

The game started to go south for Miami at the beginning of the fourth quarter when junior guard Jessica Thomas, the team’s leading scorer at the time, picked up her fourth foul and headed to the bench. From there, the Canes were unable to find an answer for FSU’s half-court 1-3-1 press. The pressure led to multiple turnovers and easy buckets in transition for the Seminoles (23-6, 13-3). The Canes battled back in the last seconds, but it proved to be too little too late.

The rivalry game also represented a valuable opportunity for Miami to edge closer toward the top of the ACC standings. Miami came into the matchup 0-5 against RPI top-25 teams and looked inspired to knock off the highly touted Seminoles in the first quarter. Led by junior guard Adrienne Motley, the Canes shot 44 percent from the field and got out to a quick lead. Fueled on the defensive end by sophomore forward Erykah Davenport, Miami finished the first quarter with a 16-15 lead.

Motley continued her hot shooting in the second quarter and the Canes extended their lead to seven points. However, FSU dominated the last five minutes of the second quarter. The Seminoles clamped down on Miami’s scorers defensively and executed to perfection on the offensive end to trim the lead to just one going into halftime.

The second half was tight throughout as both teams took multiple leads in a back-and-forth contest. Thomas made a few tough baskets and was complimented inside by Davenport on the offensive end in the third quarter. Much like the first quarter, the Canes were able to get out to a six-point lead at the beginning of the third quarter and carried the advantage into the fourth up 48-44.

It was a tough way to end the season for the Canes (22-7, 10-6), but they have plenty to look forward to as the postseason approaches. They will have a chance to pick up some quality wins in the ACC Tournament starting Thursday in Greensboro, North Carolina.

A strong showing there could force the NCAA tournament committee into giving Miami a higher seed. More importantly, stringing together some wins in the ACC Tournament would give Miami an opportunity for a conference title. If the Canes play well, they certainly will have the talent to bring the team’s first ACC Tournament title back to Coral Gables next week.

About Author

Cody Brown

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...