Basketball, Sports

Miami ends regular season with tough 70-67 loss to FSU

SPORTS_WomensBasketballTHISONE_EK

The No. 17 Hurricanes’ regular season ended on a sour note with a 70-67 loss to No. 12 Florida State in Tallahassee on Sunday afternoon.

The game started to go south for Miami at the beginning of the fourth quarter when junior guard Jessica Thomas, the team’s leading scorer at the time, picked up her fourth foul and headed to the bench. From there, the Canes were unable to find an answer for FSU’s half-court 1-3-1 press. The pressure led to multiple turnovers and easy buckets in transition for the Seminoles (23-6, 13-3). The Canes battled back in the last seconds, but it proved to be too little too late.

The rivalry game also represented a valuable opportunity for Miami to edge closer toward the top of the ACC standings. Miami came into the matchup 0-5 against RPI top-25 teams and looked inspired to knock off the highly touted Seminoles in the first quarter. Led by junior guard Adrienne Motley, the Canes shot 44 percent from the field and got out to a quick lead. Fueled on the defensive end by sophomore forward Erykah Davenport, Miami finished the first quarter with a 16-15 lead.

Motley continued her hot shooting in the second quarter and the Canes extended their lead to seven points. However, FSU dominated the last five minutes of the second quarter. The Seminoles clamped down on Miami’s scorers defensively and executed to perfection on the offensive end to trim the lead to just one going into halftime.

The second half was tight throughout as both teams took multiple leads in a back-and-forth contest. Thomas made a few tough baskets and was complimented inside by Davenport on the offensive end in the third quarter. Much like the first quarter, the Canes were able to get out to a six-point lead at the beginning of the third quarter and carried the advantage into the fourth up 48-44.

It was a tough way to end the season for the Canes (22-7, 10-6), but they have plenty to look forward to as the postseason approaches. They will have a chance to pick up some quality wins in the ACC Tournament starting Thursday in Greensboro, North Carolina.

A strong showing there could force the NCAA tournament committee into giving Miami a higher seed. More importantly, stringing together some wins in the ACC Tournament would give Miami an opportunity for a conference title. If the Canes play well, they certainly will have the talent to bring the team’s first ACC Tournament title back to Coral Gables next week.

Cody Brown

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

In singles play, the Hurricanes demonstrated strength at the top with both of their ranked players – ...

Hurricanes and Fighting Irish play at 7 p.m. Monday. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team opened competition Sunday at the 2018 A ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...