Leap year adds extra day to February 2016

The last time we had an opportunity to publish this paper on Feb. 29 was in 1996. For that, we have Julius Caesar to thank.

Leap days, that extra day tagged on to the end of February every four years, correct a slight inaccuracy in the Gregorian 365-day calendar. Earth’s orbit around the sun is actually about 365.24219 days, meaning that with every passing year, the calendar is thrown off by almost a quarter of a day. This means that every 100 years, our calendar would be ahead of the corresponding positions in the orbit by a whole month. After 700 years, Christmas would be celebrated in the Northern Hemisphere during the height of summer.

So to prevent the calendar year from slowly slipping out of sync with our calendar months and seasons, leap days are added every four years to realign the calendar year to the orbit. The ancient Egyptians initially realized this discrepancy and Caesar officially instated leap days in 46 B.C. to the Julian calendar. They have since been adapted by the Catholic Church’s Gregorian calendar, the most widely used calendar today.

Even then, it’s not so cut-and-dried. Leap days overcorrect for that .24219 remainder of a day just a little bit, so every 100 years, we skip a leap day. But then that over-corrects the other way, so every 400 years, we skip a skip.

Whether people are aware of the purpose of leap years or not, Feb. 29 has become an interesting cultural fixation across different societies worldwide. Are our leapling friends, those born on a leap day, actually considered 24, or are they technically six?

Previously, Feb. 29 birthdays did not show up on Facebook at all during common years. Now, leapling birthdays automatically show as either Feb. 28 or Feb. 29. Legally, many countries will only recognize a Feb. 29 birthday as March 1 in common years. England, Wales and Hong Kong recognize leaplings as turning 18 only on March 1, the start of their next year. In New Zealand and Taiwan, on the other hand, their legal birthday would be considered Feb. 28.

In the United States, there are no general statutes regarding leap-year birthdays, according to John Reitz, a law professor at the University of Iowa. However, Reitz suggests that for most cases, March 1 would be considered the legal birthday in common years.

Dana Warshauer (A.B., ‘10), director of Parent Relations and a leap-day baby, consistently celebrates her birthday the day after Feb. 28, whether it’s called Feb. 29 or March 1.

“Sometimes I find people feel bad [because]I don’t have a birthday every year, which isn’t really the case, so I’ve never really understood their concern,” said Warshauer, who was born in 1988. “It’s a great topic of conversation and it’s my go-to when I need to share a fun fact. More importantly, I share a birthday with Ja Rule and with Superman, so I’ll take it.”

Featured image courtesy Pixabay user Unsplash

About Author

Jackie Yang

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...

Here's a daily look at what is taking place at Greentree ...

Miami tied for the most hits No. 8 North Carolina has allowed all season, but fell to the host Tar H ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...