Community, News

Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day breaks STEM gender stereotypes

Freshman Bruna da Silva leads a group of high school scholars on a tour of the College of Engineering during the Society of Women Engineers' Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day Thursday morning. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

Freshman Bruna da Silva leads a group of high school scholars on a tour of the College of Engineering during the Society of Women Engineers’ Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day Thursday morning. Kawan Amelung // Staff Photographer

T

he Society of Women Engineers (SWE) hosted 260 high school girls from 20 South Florida schools Thursday afternoon to show them the benefits of a career in engineering.

Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day is part of a national effort to acquaint young girls with the many possibilities in the field of engineering. It was held in the Shalala Student Center and included UM engineering students, professors and alumni who all shared stories of their experience in the field.

“We want to give the girls a chance to see what studying engineering is like,” University of Miami SWE President Amanda Klaristenfeld said. “It is especially important because they are about to make choices about their future: their college, their major, their career path.”

The students also participated in activites such as creating organic lip balm and touring labs at the school.

“My favorite activity was definitely touring the biomedical labs,” said Anissia Ojeba, a sophomore from John A. Ferguson Senior High School.

“We wanted to pick activities that incorporated all the departments in the engineering program here and keep things interesting for the girls,” Klaristenfeld said. “We wanted to be sure and force them to work as a team.”

Sarah Field, a graduate from the UM School of Engineering, spoke to the girls about setting goals and staying focused, as well as her passion for engineering.

She went on to tell the girls about how much the SWE Convention inspired her in high school and her continued involvement with the organization throughout her time at UM. Field insisted that the girls follow their dreams.

“Engineering allows you to capture the essence of creativity and innovation. I really wanted to express that to the youth,” she said. “There is no difference from me doing it and you doing it.”

While career decisions are still years away for many of the high school students, some discovered a connection with engineering through the event.

“I really enjoyed my experience and feel I learned a lot,” said sophomore Sydney Viguera, a student from American Senior High School.

Daniella Munoz, a junior from John A. Ferguson, addressed gender when talking about her interest in pursuing a career in engineering.

“I have always questioned how things work. I am really interested in mechanics,” Munoz said. “I want to combat the stereotype that when it comes to mechanical stuff, girls cannot do anything.”

Both Field and Klaristenfeld believe that being a female in engineering is no longer a problem of stereotyping, but more about the field being stuck in the past.

“In the industry, I have never felt that being a woman has held me back,” Field said. “I mean, I may be the only female on site, but I do feel the numbers in the field are growing.”

She went on to explain that corporations have been increasingly investing in young girls.

Klaristenfeld recounted a story about the impact the event had on a previous participant.

“I was tabling for SWE at an engineering expo and a girl came up to me and said, ‘I am now an engineering student at the University of Miami, and it is because of you guys.’”

About Author

Brianna Hernandez

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...