Basketball, Sports

Miami men’s basketball beats Louisville 73-65 in final home game of the regular season

During a timeout with less than 10 minutes remaining in the Hurricanes’ final home game of the season, Head Coach Jim Larrañaga only wanted to talk to one player. Larrañaga pulled redshirt senior point guard Angel Rodriguez aside and told him to lead his team for one final time at the BankUnited Center.

Rodriguez answered the challenge, and the rest of the team followed his lead as No. 12 Miami beat No.11 Louisville 73-65 in front of 7,342 screaming fans on Senior Day Saturday afternoon.

“I stopped Angel as he came off the court and told him, ‘Listen, you need to show everybody in this arena how hard you’re willing to play to win this game, how important this game is to you, and your teammates will follow,’” Larrañaga said. “’I want you to pick up their point guard full court and play with great defensive intensity. And you’ll see what happens.’ From that moment on he was absolutely sensational.”

Rodriguez tied junior Davon Reed for a game-high 17 points to go with seven assists and five rebounds. Rodriguez and fellow redshirt senior guard Sheldon McClellan held guards Damion Lee and Trey Lewis, Louisville’s leading scorers coming into the game, to 19 points on a combined 8-of-23 shooting.

Redshirt senior guard Angel Rodriguez jumps for an uncontested layup during Saturday afternoon's men's basketball game against Louisville. The Hurricanes defeated the Cardinals 73-65. Nick Gangemi // Editor-in-Chief

Redshirt senior guard Angel Rodriguez jumps for an uncontested layup during Saturday afternoon’s men’s basketball game against Louisville. The Hurricanes defeated the Cardinals 73-65. Nick Gangemi // Editor-in-Chief

“As a player sometimes you just don’t realize a lot of important things that you do for your team,” Rodriguez said. “I always forget how much of an influence it is when I pressure the ball, when I play so hard on defense. It really makes the team go harder and I did that in the second half, and the team responded just like Coach L told me they would.”

Following that crucial timeout, Miami dominated Louisville the rest of the way. The Canes closed the final 4:50 of the game on a 15-3 run. Louisville (22-7, 11-5) went 1-of-12 down the stretch.

“Led us to a win, basically,” McClellan said of Rodriguez. “He changed the game for us with his tempo. He does it all for us. We really feed off his energy.”

Rodriguez scored the team’s first seven points of the second half following a 6-0 run by Louisville. A wide-open three from the right corner by Reed with 41 seconds left put the Canes up 68-62, and sent the BUC into an early celebration. The Canes (23-5, 12-4) finished the regular season with just a single loss at home, which came on a buzzer-beater by Northeastern back in November.

The Canes trailed 38-36 at halftime despite shooting a scalding 59 percent from the field. The Cardinals kept up with Miami’s hot shooting, making 58 percent of their field goals. Neither team led by more than five as Miami or Louisville knocked down another shot every time one side tried to pull away.

Rodriguez scored five points and dished five assists in the first eight minutes of the game. Miami’s quick ball movement and drive-and-kick game led to wide-open looks from the outside. The Canes went 5-of-7 on threes against Louisville’s tough zone defense. The Cardinals came into the matchup with the No. 1 defense in the country, according to kenpom.com.

The Canes next play No. 23 Notre Dame at 7 p.m. on Wednesday in Indiana.

About Author

Mark Singer

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...