Baseball, Sports

Hurricanes dominated by Gators’ Logan Shore in 5-0 shutout

There was an incredible performance at Mark Light Field on Friday night. It just wasn’t by the Hurricanes. Florida junior pitcher Logan Shore threw his first career shutout and third complete game as the No. 1 Gators beat the No. 6 Canes 5-0 in front of 4,147 fans. The Canes have now lost four straight to the Gators, including two crushing losses in the 2015 College World Series that sent Miami home.

Shore had twice as many strikeouts (eight) as hits allowed (four) to go with zero walks in his masterful performance that required just 97 pitches. The right-hander hit the first batter he faced and then only allowed four base runners the rest of the game.

“Great crowd. They were better than we were tonight,” Miami Head Coach Jim Morris said. “Florida outplayed us tonight. They got a very good club. Shore pitched an outstanding game.”

The Canes (4-1) didn’t get their first hit of the night until the fourth inning. Sophomore Carl Chester led the Canes with three of the team’s four hits and was on the receiving end of Shore’s errant pitch in the first. Senior left-hander Thomas Woodrey (1-1) struggled against the potent Gators lineup, giving up a career-high tying five earned runs in five innings.

The Gators (6-0) faced no such difficulties at the plate, finishing the game with eight hits and five walks. Florida opened the game with two runs in the first on a two-run home run by Peter Alonso. The Gators added two more runs in the fourth on a two-run RBI single by Deacon Liput.

“They had a really good approach as a team against me. I don’t think I had my best stuff by any means, but overall they battled me tough,” Woodrey said. “They’re ranked No. 1 in the country and tonight they played like it.”

Florida’s designated hitter JJ Schwarz led off the sixth with a screaming home run over the left field wall to put the Gators up 5-0. An Alonso walk followed by a Jeremy Vasquez single ended Woodrey’s night. Sophomore Jesse Lepore came in for relief and threw three scoreless innings. Redshirt freshman Devin Meyer made his first career appearance with a scoreless ninth.

“Their lineup all the way through had a good approach. They played better than us tonight,” Woodrey said of Florida.

The Canes only seriously threatened Shore (2-0) once, back in the fourth inning. Chester led off with a double to left field followed by a single from junior first baseman Chris Barr. Miami had men on the corners and its three, four and five hitters coming up with no outs, yet still failed to score a run.

Junior catcher Zack Collins popped out to center after fouling off a deep fly ball to left field. Shore picked off a leaning Barr at first for the second out, leaving only Chester on base. Junior left fielder Jacob Heyward reached the right field warning track but Vasquez made the catch at the wall to end the inning.

“We had a first and third situation with no outs that we got to score. We got three, four, five up and we didn’t get a run in,” Morris said. “That’s a big turning point right there when we couldn’t get anybody in at that time.”

The Canes next play Florida at 7 p.m. on Saturday at Mark Light Field.

Mark Singer

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...