Baseball, Sports

Hurricanes dominated by Gators’ Logan Shore in 5-0 shutout

There was an incredible performance at Mark Light Field on Friday night. It just wasn’t by the Hurricanes. Florida junior pitcher Logan Shore threw his first career shutout and third complete game as the No. 1 Gators beat the No. 6 Canes 5-0 in front of 4,147 fans. The Canes have now lost four straight to the Gators, including two crushing losses in the 2015 College World Series that sent Miami home.

Shore had twice as many strikeouts (eight) as hits allowed (four) to go with zero walks in his masterful performance that required just 97 pitches. The right-hander hit the first batter he faced and then only allowed four base runners the rest of the game.

“Great crowd. They were better than we were tonight,” Miami Head Coach Jim Morris said. “Florida outplayed us tonight. They got a very good club. Shore pitched an outstanding game.”

The Canes (4-1) didn’t get their first hit of the night until the fourth inning. Sophomore Carl Chester led the Canes with three of the team’s four hits and was on the receiving end of Shore’s errant pitch in the first. Senior left-hander Thomas Woodrey (1-1) struggled against the potent Gators lineup, giving up a career-high tying five earned runs in five innings.

The Gators (6-0) faced no such difficulties at the plate, finishing the game with eight hits and five walks. Florida opened the game with two runs in the first on a two-run home run by Peter Alonso. The Gators added two more runs in the fourth on a two-run RBI single by Deacon Liput.

“They had a really good approach as a team against me. I don’t think I had my best stuff by any means, but overall they battled me tough,” Woodrey said. “They’re ranked No. 1 in the country and tonight they played like it.”

Florida’s designated hitter JJ Schwarz led off the sixth with a screaming home run over the left field wall to put the Gators up 5-0. An Alonso walk followed by a Jeremy Vasquez single ended Woodrey’s night. Sophomore Jesse Lepore came in for relief and threw three scoreless innings. Redshirt freshman Devin Meyer made his first career appearance with a scoreless ninth.

“Their lineup all the way through had a good approach. They played better than us tonight,” Woodrey said of Florida.

The Canes only seriously threatened Shore (2-0) once, back in the fourth inning. Chester led off with a double to left field followed by a single from junior first baseman Chris Barr. Miami had men on the corners and its three, four and five hitters coming up with no outs, yet still failed to score a run.

Junior catcher Zack Collins popped out to center after fouling off a deep fly ball to left field. Shore picked off a leaning Barr at first for the second out, leaving only Chester on base. Junior left fielder Jacob Heyward reached the right field warning track but Vasquez made the catch at the wall to end the inning.

“We had a first and third situation with no outs that we got to score. We got three, four, five up and we didn’t get a run in,” Morris said. “That’s a big turning point right there when we couldn’t get anybody in at that time.”

The Canes next play Florida at 7 p.m. on Saturday at Mark Light Field.

About Author

Mark Singer

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...