Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: Miami men’s basketball continues battle after win over Cavaliers

The team was on its heels the entire game, but the Miami Hurricanes were able to stay in front most of the game as they held off the Virginia Cavaliers 64-61.

Virginia guard London Perrantes missed a game-tying three-pointer from halfcourt as time expired to secure the victory.

The hero from the game was junior forward Davon Reed, who had a career high of 21 points on 5-of-6 shooting from the three-point line. He got the Canes going offensively early on with two three-pointers and he hit two more at the beginning of the second half. Reed also sank two free throws to safely put the Canes up by three late in the game.

After a slow offensive start for both teams, Miami led 30-25 at halftime thanks to a floater from three-point range by guard Sheldon McClellan as time expired. McClellan would finish with 11 points.

The story of the second half became a catch-up game for Virginia when Miami would go up by more than two possessions. After Miami went up 39-29, senior guard Malcolm Brogdon helped Virginia cut the lead back down to a one possession game with 15 minutes to go. Brogdon, who is a candidate with McClellan for ACC Player of the Year, finished with a game-high 28 points.

At the final media timeout with less than four minutes to play, Miami led 60-52 and seemed to be in control of the game. Brogdon then hit two shots and Perrantes made a layup to make it a 60-59 game.

Miami could have put Virginia away a little sooner, but they only shot 60 percent from the foul line, going 12-of-20. Free-throw shooting along with poor rebounding allowed Virginia to continue to creep back into the ball game.

If I were Coach Jim Larrañaga, I would work to formulate a plan for interior post defense when center Tonye Jekiri goes to the bench. Forward Kamari Murphy seems likes the best option to cover the other teams’ centers as he finished the game with 11 rebounds.

Monday night’s win was a statement victory for the Canes as the team moved within a half game of North Carolina in the ACC standings and continue to battle for the regular season title. The home finale against Louisville takes place at 2 p.m. Saturday afternoon.

Wyatt Geller

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

A six-pack of UM nuggets on a Tuesday: • UM receiver Dionte Mullins’ final statement this spring - i ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

University of Miami Coach Jim Larrañaga has announced the addition of Lamont Franklin as the directo ...

HurricaneSports.com caught up with Miami's current hardwood ProCanes. Here's where you can ...

A trio of Canes are represented in the polls, with Lomacki at No. 64 in the ITA Singles rankings and ...

The Miami women's tennis team has continued its rise up the ITA national rankings, checking in ...

Romy Gonzalez scored the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, and Miami held on for an 8-7 win over hos ...