Football, Sports

Tight end Jerome Washington leaves football team

Jerome Washington

Jerome Washington

Sophomore tight end Jerome Washington announced Wednesday afternoon that he elected to leave the football team.

“Playing football at the University of Miami was a wonderful experience, but at this time, I feel it is in my best interest to step away from the game,” Washington said in a statement.

The transfer from Merer County Community College in New Jersey played in nine games last season, mostly on special teams.

Washington is the third player to leave the Hurricanes’ football team since new Head Coach Mark Richt took over in December. Senior running back Walter Tucker left the team on Feb. 11 and sophomore wide receiver Tyre Brady left the program on Jan. 4.

Mark Singer

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...