Campus Life, News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senators sworn in, bill boosts support for organizations

Welcoming New Senators

Fifteen newly-elected senators and re-elected senators were officially sworn into their Student Government positions Wednesday afternoon.

After a brief introduction of each senator, the details of all roles and committees were explained to the members so they could have a chance to be more involved. The elected President Vikesh Patel told the senators to join and to attend committee meetings to discuss issues facing the student body.

Once the meeting ended, all new senators stayed for Senator Orientation, run by Commuter Senator Sarah Betancourt.

“I help the new senators get an idea of how Student Government works as a whole and how they can get involved,” Betancourt said.

“I’m excited for what is to come,” said Liztiffany Couceiro, a freshman who was recently elected to be a commuter senator.

Constitutional Amendment Passed 

A bill to allow the senate to grant co-sponsorships for more organizations, specifically those registered under the Office of the Dean of Students, was passed Wednesday.

“It’s a bill to create a greater scope on what organizations we could give co-sponsorships to,” said Jeff Sznapstajler, speaker of the senate.

Notes:

• Applications for special appointment senate seats – those that are either unfilled or made by appointment only – are available on the OrgSync webpage.

• The student Supreme Court presented their opinions on the possible creation of a senate seat for Hillel and Muslim Students of University of Miami (MSUM), but those opinions were not made public.

Jorge Chabo

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...