Campus Life, News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senators sworn in, bill boosts support for organizations

Welcoming New Senators

Fifteen newly-elected senators and re-elected senators were officially sworn into their Student Government positions Wednesday afternoon.

After a brief introduction of each senator, the details of all roles and committees were explained to the members so they could have a chance to be more involved. The elected President Vikesh Patel told the senators to join and to attend committee meetings to discuss issues facing the student body.

Once the meeting ended, all new senators stayed for Senator Orientation, run by Commuter Senator Sarah Betancourt.

“I help the new senators get an idea of how Student Government works as a whole and how they can get involved,” Betancourt said.

“I’m excited for what is to come,” said Liztiffany Couceiro, a freshman who was recently elected to be a commuter senator.

Constitutional Amendment Passed 

A bill to allow the senate to grant co-sponsorships for more organizations, specifically those registered under the Office of the Dean of Students, was passed Wednesday.

“It’s a bill to create a greater scope on what organizations we could give co-sponsorships to,” said Jeff Sznapstajler, speaker of the senate.

Notes:

• Applications for special appointment senate seats – those that are either unfilled or made by appointment only – are available on the OrgSync webpage.

• The student Supreme Court presented their opinions on the possible creation of a senate seat for Hillel and Muslim Students of University of Miami (MSUM), but those opinions were not made public.

About Author

Jorge Chabo

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...