Senators sworn in, bill boosts support for organizations

Welcoming New Senators

Fifteen newly-elected senators and re-elected senators were officially sworn into their Student Government positions Wednesday afternoon.

After a brief introduction of each senator, the details of all roles and committees were explained to the members so they could have a chance to be more involved. The elected President Vikesh Patel told the senators to join and to attend committee meetings to discuss issues facing the student body.

Once the meeting ended, all new senators stayed for Senator Orientation, run by Commuter Senator Sarah Betancourt.

“I help the new senators get an idea of how Student Government works as a whole and how they can get involved,” Betancourt said.

“I’m excited for what is to come,” said Liztiffany Couceiro, a freshman who was recently elected to be a commuter senator.

Constitutional Amendment Passed 

A bill to allow the senate to grant co-sponsorships for more organizations, specifically those registered under the Office of the Dean of Students, was passed Wednesday.

“It’s a bill to create a greater scope on what organizations we could give co-sponsorships to,” said Jeff Sznapstajler, speaker of the senate.

Notes:

• Applications for special appointment senate seats – those that are either unfilled or made by appointment only – are available on the OrgSync webpage.

• The student Supreme Court presented their opinions on the possible creation of a senate seat for Hillel and Muslim Students of University of Miami (MSUM), but those opinions were not made public.