Campus Life, News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senators sworn in, bill boosts support for organizations

Welcoming New Senators

Fifteen newly-elected senators and re-elected senators were officially sworn into their Student Government positions Wednesday afternoon.

After a brief introduction of each senator, the details of all roles and committees were explained to the members so they could have a chance to be more involved. The elected President Vikesh Patel told the senators to join and to attend committee meetings to discuss issues facing the student body.

Once the meeting ended, all new senators stayed for Senator Orientation, run by Commuter Senator Sarah Betancourt.

“I help the new senators get an idea of how Student Government works as a whole and how they can get involved,” Betancourt said.

“I’m excited for what is to come,” said Liztiffany Couceiro, a freshman who was recently elected to be a commuter senator.

Constitutional Amendment Passed 

A bill to allow the senate to grant co-sponsorships for more organizations, specifically those registered under the Office of the Dean of Students, was passed Wednesday.

“It’s a bill to create a greater scope on what organizations we could give co-sponsorships to,” said Jeff Sznapstajler, speaker of the senate.

Notes:

• Applications for special appointment senate seats – those that are either unfilled or made by appointment only – are available on the OrgSync webpage.

• The student Supreme Court presented their opinions on the possible creation of a senate seat for Hillel and Muslim Students of University of Miami (MSUM), but those opinions were not made public.

Jorge Chabo

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...