V's Take

Dear V: Can’t reach my ‘Final Destination’

I’ve been in a friend-with-benefits situation with a guy for a few months. We hook up once or twice a week and have gotten to know each other pretty well when it comes to the bedroom. He knows what I’m into and I always have a good time with him. Thing is, it’s hard for me to reach the “end zone” when I’m with someone – I get stage fright and end up psyching myself out before I finish.

The guy I’m with has no idea because I’ve been faking it this whole time. I don’t know what to do now – if I suddenly start asking him to do more of this or less of that, he’ll figure out that something’s up. I feel guilty because I do enjoy myself with him – it’s just that reaching the end point isn’t easy for me in front of someone else. How do I talk to him about helping me get there?

Sincerely,

“Big O”-livia

Dear “Big O”-livia,

First off, stop dancing around the word like it’s a taboo – you can’t orgasm during sex.

This is a common thing that many women (and men) experience from time to time. For some, it’s nearly every time they’re intimate with themselves or with a partner. Some people aren’t able to get to the end zone simply because of mechanics or method, while others like you have more of an issue with performance anxiety – what’s going on in your head – rather than what’s going on downstairs.

The first thing you should do is talk to your guy. It will be awkward at first, but if you’re comfortable with each other, he should be understanding. You don’t have to tell him you’re not orgasming when you’re with him. Rather, experiment on yourself first and figure out what makes you tick. Then ask him to switch it up in the bedroom and suggest things you know would help you finish. You’ll end up more satisfied that way but won’t have to confess you’ve trumped Leo with your Oscar-worthy performances.

No one should ever feel pressured to fake it. In the moment, we’re so focused on pleasing our partner that we lose sight of our own pleasure in the process. Life is too short to be having less-than-satisfying sex and both partners should make sure the other person gets what they need out of the romp.

So, create your own methodology while you’re by yourself and are anxiety-free, then suggest these tactics to your FWB. He’ll be excited to try something new and you’ll end up exciting yourself in the process.

Clear your head and remind yourself you’re comfortable with him, then experiment with what you’ve tried on yourself. Every good performance needs a little improv and maybe even some new props.

-V

Advice Columnist

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...