Campus Life, News

Confronting Misogynoir event discusses misogyny toward women of color

NEWS_ConfrontingMysogeny_EC

Students play a game of “How Misogynistic Are You?” during the “Confronting Misogynoir: Do Black Women Matter?” event hosted by the Yellow Rose Society in the Pearson Master’s Apartment Wednesday night. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

More than 50 students gathered in the Pearson Master’s apartment Wednesday night to have a discussion about where racism and sexism intersect: “misogynoir.”

Confronting Misogynoir: Do Black Women Matter? sponsored by the Yellow Rose Society, was a multimedia event and forum discussing misogyny within the black community and mainstream media. Misogyny, or ingrained prejudice against women, and misogynoir, the same prejudice directed toward black women, were the main topics of discussion throughout the night. Video clips and photos aided the discussion.

The event, hosted and created by senior Hülya Miclisse-Polat and junior Alexis McDonald, came about after the two students attended a forum where they felt they were “bashed as women,” Miclisse-Polat said.

“We felt that what we said was overlooked. We felt silenced, so we decided to create our own space where we can talk about issues,” she said.

Throughout the night, students were shown different videos and photos that dealt with issues within misogynoir, including Kanye West talking about the contrast between his black ex-girlfriend, Amber Rose, and his wife Kim Kardashian.

Junior Melina Maldonado said one of the most compelling moments of the night was when the topic of how a woman dresses was discussed, including a discussion about how black women are more likely to be addressed in a degrading manner based on their attire.

“Being a woman of color myself, it really hit me,” Maldonado said. “It’s not fair that women in general have to deal with prejudice like this and much less that women of a certain color have to deal with it even more than others.”

With students like Maldonado in attendance, Miclisse-Polat said the event was such a success that it may become an annual event during Black Awareness Month, helping attendees to take a look at their own lives and to acknowledge their privilege.

“It’s important that people understand their privilege and collectively have these types of discussions to try to re-evaluate how we are perpetuating misogyny,” she said.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team will travel to Georgia Tech and Clemson this week for the fi ...