Campus Life, News

Confronting Misogynoir event discusses misogyny toward women of color

NEWS_ConfrontingMysogeny_EC

Students play a game of “How Misogynistic Are You?” during the “Confronting Misogynoir: Do Black Women Matter?” event hosted by the Yellow Rose Society in the Pearson Master’s Apartment Wednesday night. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

More than 50 students gathered in the Pearson Master’s apartment Wednesday night to have a discussion about where racism and sexism intersect: “misogynoir.”

Confronting Misogynoir: Do Black Women Matter? sponsored by the Yellow Rose Society, was a multimedia event and forum discussing misogyny within the black community and mainstream media. Misogyny, or ingrained prejudice against women, and misogynoir, the same prejudice directed toward black women, were the main topics of discussion throughout the night. Video clips and photos aided the discussion.

The event, hosted and created by senior Hülya Miclisse-Polat and junior Alexis McDonald, came about after the two students attended a forum where they felt they were “bashed as women,” Miclisse-Polat said.

“We felt that what we said was overlooked. We felt silenced, so we decided to create our own space where we can talk about issues,” she said.

Throughout the night, students were shown different videos and photos that dealt with issues within misogynoir, including Kanye West talking about the contrast between his black ex-girlfriend, Amber Rose, and his wife Kim Kardashian.

Junior Melina Maldonado said one of the most compelling moments of the night was when the topic of how a woman dresses was discussed, including a discussion about how black women are more likely to be addressed in a degrading manner based on their attire.

“Being a woman of color myself, it really hit me,” Maldonado said. “It’s not fair that women in general have to deal with prejudice like this and much less that women of a certain color have to deal with it even more than others.”

With students like Maldonado in attendance, Miclisse-Polat said the event was such a success that it may become an annual event during Black Awareness Month, helping attendees to take a look at their own lives and to acknowledge their privilege.

“It’s important that people understand their privilege and collectively have these types of discussions to try to re-evaluate how we are perpetuating misogyny,” she said.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...