Campus Life, Greek Life, News

Blood drive helps save lives, raise money

Sororities and fraternities came together this week to see who could donate the most blood while also raising money for charity as a part of Greek Week.

The eight teams of Greek Week were given points for donating blood. They also received extra points for donating on a specific date, called “efficiency date,” along with early-bird bonus points for donating between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. For each member who donated, $6 was given to the United Cerebral Palsy (UCP) foundation of South Florida.

One Blood annually collaborates with the University of Miami for the drive, bringing nurses and administrators across Florida together. Alex Martinez, who works for One Blood, said the event helps to raise awareness of blood donations.

“It brings awareness … It saves lives. That’s the bottom line,” said Martinez, who has been helping with the event for more than 20 years.

The drive ran between 11 a.m. and 8:30 p.m. from Monday to Wednesday. A mobile was set up in the One Blood bus on the Rock and other stations were in the ballrooms of the third floor of the Shalala Student Center. The room was split into four sections for forms, testing, registration and blood collection. There was music as well as a movie on a big screen to distract and entertain people who were donating or waiting.

The drive wasn’t limited to Greek Life members. Freshman Scott Young, who is not involved in Greek Life, gave blood for the first time in his life after losing his father to cancer recently.

“I wanted to help people out who are sick,” Scott said. “Recently I lost my dad to cancer, so if I could help someone out, that would be really good.”

Donors were required to fill out a questionnaire and were given educational materials before donating. They had their blood pressure and temperature taken, and their blood was tested for iron levels. Once that was completed, donors were registered, processed and given a voucher for Bahamas Cruise Line.

The actual blood collection consisted of three sample tubes to test for sexually transmitted diseases, cholesterol and other blood-related diseases; three bags for red cells and platelets; and a main volunteer donor bag. The bags were filled with an anticoagulant drug to prevent the blood from clotting and the machines had timers on them to regulate the amount of blood donated.

The minimum amount of time for blood donation was five minutes and the maximum was 20, depending on the person. After donation, participants were bandaged, given Gatorade to replace electrolytes and offered a variety of snacks to prevent light-headedness and nausea.

All the donated blood will enter the blood bank and be sent to hospitals in Georgia, Florida and South Carolina.

Greek Week Co-Chair Bryce Burton said Greek life’s relationship with One Blood has been strong for years because it helps everyone involved.

“We’re saving three lives per bag of blood so it’s kind of a double-whammy. We’re raising money for UCP and we’re helping people who need blood, too,” Burton said.

The amount of blood donated and money raised was not available at the time of publication.

William Riggin

Ritika Malkani

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team will travel to Georgia Tech and Clemson this week for the fi ...