LeSutra’s Model Volleyball Tournament returns with more than 300 supermodels, Joe Jonas

The famed beauty of South Beach got even hotter the past weekend when more than 300 supermodels played volleyball at the seventh annual LeSutra’s Model Volleyball Tournament in Lummus Park. Joe Jonas and his band DNCE headlined the event, performing in front of thousands of spectators.

Organized by Wildfox, the event, which spanned from Feb. 20 to Feb. 21, raised proceeds benefiting the DJ Irie Foundation, which works to empower at-risk youth. Jamie Foxx hosted the event last year, and this year’s mantle was passed to party planner and social media fixture YesJulz.

The models from more than 13 top modeling agencies like Wilhelmina, Elite, Ford and Next played in a co-ed team of a bracket-style competition, where the winning team was rewarded a complimentary round trip to a surprise destination.

During the competition, spectators waited until 3 p.m. for the visually stunning quartet of DNCE. The headliners gave a high-energy performance, frequently interacting with the audience in a contagious and upbeat manner as they sang “Toothbrush” and covered TLC’s songs “No Scrubs” and “Don’t go chasing Waterfalls.”

University of Miami students in attendance raved about how DNCE kept the audience engaged.

“I loved the event. It was everything you’d imagine Miami to be, right next to the beach with a great set by DNCE,” sophomore Celeste Lim said. “The atmosphere of the whole event really stood out to me. It was so much fun yet not too crazy. I loved the intimacy of the concert. There was a point where Joe Jonas literally jumped over me to sing on the bar table I was next to and it was insane I still can’t believe we were that close.”

For junior Avisha Gopalakrishna, the event allowed her to fulfill one of her dreams: to see Joe Jonas in person.

“I didn’t want to grab his leg because I understand that is a very rude thing to do,” Gopalakrishna said. “But 13-year-old me would have died if I didn’t ‘grab’ the opportunity.”

DNCE ended its set with the hit single, “Cake by the Ocean,” performed for Cole Whittle, the bassist of the band, whose birthday coincided with the event.

A massive cake was presented during the song, and Whittle proceeded to head-butt the cake. The audience had a chance to try the cake themselves, as swimsuit models of the Wildfox swimwear fashion show threw pieces to the crowd.

Junior Aalekhya Reddam, who knew nothing about the band prior to the performance, said she still enjoyed this experience.

“You don’t even need to know their songs to enjoy their performance,” Reddam said. “They were so upbeat and their energy was incredible. They kept interacting with the crowd and created such a fun time for all of us.”

Marcus Lim

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...

The Miami women's tennis team concluded the 2017 season ranked No. 25 in the country, as announ ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2017 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 25-27 at the U ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...