Campus Life, Greek Life, News, Science and Technology

News Briefs 2/22: Engineering Week, Greek Week

Engineering Week

The University of Miami Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers kicked off Engineering Week with the U-Hack 24-hour Hackathon that ran from Saturday morning to Sunday night. The week will continue Monday with a networking session hosted by the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers at the McArthur Annex from 7-8 p.m. Recent graduates who are now entrepreneurs will talk about finding careers after graduation.

The American Society of Civil Engineers will try to make concrete canoes float on Lake Osceola on Monday, Feb. 22, and on Tuesday, Feb. 23 at 1:45 p.m., teams will use duct tape and engineering skills to try to stick a teammate to the wall for the longest at the College of Engineering.

The National Society of Black Engineers will host a forum on the importance of minority representation in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) careers at the UM Faculty Club on Tuesday, Feb. 23 at 5:30 p.m. Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet of the College of Engineering and President Julio Frenk will speak at the forum.

Hundreds of girls from South Fla. will come to the UM Coral Gables campus on Thursday, Feb. 25 for Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day. They will hear from speakers and participate in activities.

For information on these events and others happening during Engineering Week, visit coe.miami.edu/eweek.

Greek Week

The opening ceremonies of Greek Week will be held at 3 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio. Events throughout the week include a blood drive from 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. each day from Feb. 22-24 in the Shalala Student Center, Philanthropy Day from noon until 4 p.m. on Thursday on the Foote Green and the Rock, and the Greek God and Goddess competition from 7-10 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 25 on the Lakeside Patio.

The week also features O-Cheer on Friday, Feb. 26 at 7:15 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio and athletic competitions during Olympic Day on Saturday, Feb. 27 at 11:30 a.m. on the Intramural fields.

For more information on these events and other happenings during Greek Week, visit umiamigreekweek.org.

William Riggin

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...