Campus Life, Greek Life, News, Science and Technology

News Briefs 2/22: Engineering Week, Greek Week

Engineering Week

The University of Miami Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers kicked off Engineering Week with the U-Hack 24-hour Hackathon that ran from Saturday morning to Sunday night. The week will continue Monday with a networking session hosted by the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers at the McArthur Annex from 7-8 p.m. Recent graduates who are now entrepreneurs will talk about finding careers after graduation.

The American Society of Civil Engineers will try to make concrete canoes float on Lake Osceola on Monday, Feb. 22, and on Tuesday, Feb. 23 at 1:45 p.m., teams will use duct tape and engineering skills to try to stick a teammate to the wall for the longest at the College of Engineering.

The National Society of Black Engineers will host a forum on the importance of minority representation in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) careers at the UM Faculty Club on Tuesday, Feb. 23 at 5:30 p.m. Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet of the College of Engineering and President Julio Frenk will speak at the forum.

Hundreds of girls from South Fla. will come to the UM Coral Gables campus on Thursday, Feb. 25 for Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day. They will hear from speakers and participate in activities.

For information on these events and others happening during Engineering Week, visit coe.miami.edu/eweek.

Greek Week

The opening ceremonies of Greek Week will be held at 3 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio. Events throughout the week include a blood drive from 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. each day from Feb. 22-24 in the Shalala Student Center, Philanthropy Day from noon until 4 p.m. on Thursday on the Foote Green and the Rock, and the Greek God and Goddess competition from 7-10 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 25 on the Lakeside Patio.

The week also features O-Cheer on Friday, Feb. 26 at 7:15 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio and athletic competitions during Olympic Day on Saturday, Feb. 27 at 11:30 a.m. on the Intramural fields.

For more information on these events and other happenings during Greek Week, visit umiamigreekweek.org.

William Riggin

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

Miami Hurricanes senior wide receiver Braxton Berrios sprinted — in a joyous frenzy — for about 30 y ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was not going to let his Hurricanes be denied. ...

View photos from the Toledo Rockets at Miami Hurricanes game Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017, at Hard Rock ...

What seemed like calamity at the half turned out OK. The defense stepped up, Malik Rosier stepped up ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...

The Miami women's tennis team concluded its opening weekend of play Sunday on the final day of ...

The University of Miami swimming team continued its weekend at All-Florida Invitational at the Steph ...