Campus Life, Greek Life, News, Science and Technology

News Briefs 2/22: Engineering Week, Greek Week

Engineering Week

The University of Miami Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers kicked off Engineering Week with the U-Hack 24-hour Hackathon that ran from Saturday morning to Sunday night. The week will continue Monday with a networking session hosted by the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers at the McArthur Annex from 7-8 p.m. Recent graduates who are now entrepreneurs will talk about finding careers after graduation.

The American Society of Civil Engineers will try to make concrete canoes float on Lake Osceola on Monday, Feb. 22, and on Tuesday, Feb. 23 at 1:45 p.m., teams will use duct tape and engineering skills to try to stick a teammate to the wall for the longest at the College of Engineering.

The National Society of Black Engineers will host a forum on the importance of minority representation in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) careers at the UM Faculty Club on Tuesday, Feb. 23 at 5:30 p.m. Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet of the College of Engineering and President Julio Frenk will speak at the forum.

Hundreds of girls from South Fla. will come to the UM Coral Gables campus on Thursday, Feb. 25 for Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day. They will hear from speakers and participate in activities.

For information on these events and others happening during Engineering Week, visit coe.miami.edu/eweek.

Greek Week

The opening ceremonies of Greek Week will be held at 3 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio. Events throughout the week include a blood drive from 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. each day from Feb. 22-24 in the Shalala Student Center, Philanthropy Day from noon until 4 p.m. on Thursday on the Foote Green and the Rock, and the Greek God and Goddess competition from 7-10 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 25 on the Lakeside Patio.

The week also features O-Cheer on Friday, Feb. 26 at 7:15 p.m. on the Lakeside Patio and athletic competitions during Olympic Day on Saturday, Feb. 27 at 11:30 a.m. on the Intramural fields.

For more information on these events and other happenings during Greek Week, visit umiamigreekweek.org.

William Riggin

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...