Opinion, The Maturity Column

Napping pods hit snooze on real solutions

OPINION_NapPod

Thalia Garcia // Staff Illustrator

Alast, mental health is being supported on campus and even getting a monetary boost.

However, that doesn’t necessarily mean that the money is going toward the right proponents for this sensitive subject matter.

A few weeks ago, Student Government teamed up with the school administration to unveil two napping pods that cost $9,000 each.

“Danny, did you just say napping pods?”

Yes, I did, oh inquisitive reader. Napping pod: a contraption formed by a protruding green mat engulfed by a white sphere that covers your upper body. Or, an albino Pac-Man sticking his tongue out at you.

We have two of these now, one in the University Center and one in the Shalala Student Center, to go along with a brand-new $2,000 massage chair.

As far as impacting mental health, I can’t complain too much because these definitely won’t hurt the cause. They will certainly help tired students relax while having their laptops stolen.

However, these purchases sound more like something school reps can boast about during a school tour rather than real catalysts for emotional stability.

You’re more likely to hear a P100 tour guide proclaim, “We care so much about mental health that we invested in brand new technology called napping pods,” than, “We have a counseling center … somewhere!”

Again, it’s laudable that we’re making an effort. I’m glad Student Government is trying. As a resident assistant approaching three years on the job, I have seen hundreds of students succumb to stress, ranging anywhere from struggling with organic chemistry to forgetting a towel the one day the Wellness Center checks.

But since so many students are stressed out, why not use that $20,000 to buy a lot of something smaller so we can broaden the impact radius?

Maybe … 10,000 moist towels?

Or how about installing 100 hammocks around campus? We pitch hammocks during finals, so I know some higher-up believes that they increase morale.

Sure, it wouldn’t sound as enticing on the school tour if the guide had to say, “We have 100 hammocks on campus – don’t shine a black light on them.”

But at least it could help more than 100 students at once as opposed to just three. We have 10,000 undergraduate students – we should be thinking numbers here.

Furthermore, hammocks – or even more gliders – would encourage interaction between students because they can study together in them or watch the new season of Kimmy Schmidt on their laptops. Napping pods promote tackling stress alone, but 20-minute naps can’t cure stress as well as friendship can.

At least we’re taking a step in the right direction in terms of building an arsenal of weapons to combat college stress levels. But it’s just that – you need more than two tanks to fight a war.

Danny New is a junior majoring in broadcast journalism. The Maturity Column runs alternate Mondays.

Danny New

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

The two year project looks to improve forecast predictions that would look three to four weeks out, ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Miami women's tennis team is set to begin its 2017 fall season this weekend, with the major ...

The Miami Hurricanes evacuated Coral Gables ahead of Hurricane Irma and now they move forward as a f ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns to the court this weekend to host Virginia Tech and ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team opens its 2017-18 season Friday at the eighth ann ...

The Hurricanes will be playing for all of South Florida when they host Toledo on Saturday at Hard Ro ...