Baseball, Sports

Miami beats Rutgers 8-1 to finish opening weekend sweep

Redshirt freshman right-handed pitcher Keven Pimentel (37) throws a strikeout to clinch the sweep against Rutgers during Sunday afternoon's baseball game at Mark Light Field at Alex Rodriguez Park. The Hurricanes won the game 8-1 and start the season 3-0. Victoria McKaba // Assistant Photo Editor

Redshirt freshman right-handed pitcher Keven Pimentel (37) throws a strikeout to clinch the sweep against Rutgers during Sunday afternoon’s baseball game at Mark Light Field at Alex Rodriguez Park. The Hurricanes won the game 8-1 and start the season 3-0. Victoria McKaba // Assistant Photo Editor

For the fourth time in five years, the Hurricanes opened the season with a sweep against Rutgers. The No. 6 Canes finished off the Scarlet Knights with an 8-1 win on Sunday afternoon in front of 2,888 fans at Mark Light Field, making it 14 consecutive wins over the squad from New Jersey.

The Canes (3-0) benefitted from another great outing by the starting pitcher for the sweep. Junior Danny Garcia, pitching on his 22nd birthday, only allowed two hits and one walk in seven scoreless innings during the first weekend start of his career. Before Garcia on Sunday, senior Thomas Woodrey and junior Michael Mediavilla also had impressive outings against Rutgers (0-3). The stats for the Canes’ starters over the weekend: 18 innings pitched, nine hits, two walks, 15 strikeouts and one earned run for a combined 0.5 ERA.

“I thought we played team baseball, like we did the last two days. We pitched well. Of course, Danny Garcia pitched outstanding,” Miami Head Coach Jim Morris said.

The bullpen also performed well for the Canes. Freshman Frankie Bartow and juniors Cooper Hammond and Bryan Garcia ended the first two games without giving up a run while freshman Andrew Cabezas threw a scoreless inning in his first collegiate appearance. The highly touted freshman out of Coral Gables Senior High allowed one walk with two groundouts and a fly-out after relieving Garcia in the eighth.

Redshirt freshman Keven Pimentel let up a run in the ninth on Sunday, only the second run of the series for the Scarlet Knights. Miami outscored Rutgers 14-2 on the weekend.

“If you don’t have pitching you don’t go to Omaha. You got to play good defense, but you got to pitch,” Morris said. “You can’t outscore people every weekend. You got to pitch and you got to have a good bullpen. And that’s been a secret that’s got us to Omaha 12 times since I’ve been here.”

Miami’s bats came alive late on Sunday with the Canes scoring six runs in the final three innings. The team was glad to see the late outburst after struggling on the offensive side the first two games. The Canes combined for just six runs and 15 hits on Friday and Saturday. Miami scored 48 total runs in last year’s four-game series against Rutgers, including a 25-run explosion for the sweep.

Junior shortstop Johnny Ruiz led the Canes on Sunday with a career-high four hits – three singles and a double – in four at-bats. Ruiz was on fire the whole series, going 6-of-9 (.667) from the plate with five RBI and two walks.

“This fall, I didn’t hit too well in scrimmages, so I really focused on that this winter break and I’ve been successful and I just want to maintain that,” Ruiz said. “We broke out a little bit there towards the end of the game today, so I think we’re starting to get it together. It was only the first weekend but it’s a good start in the right direction.”

Sophomore Jesse Lepore will get his first career start on Wednesday as the Canes play St. Thomas University at 7 p.m. at Mark Light Field.

Mark Singer

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...