Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes hope to avoid repeat of Cavaliers’ last visit

The No. 11 Hurricanes will host No. 7 Virginia Monday night. Although Miami is 3-4 on the road in ACC play after the 96-71 thrashing by North Carolina on Saturday, the team is 7-0 at home. Miami sits tied for second in the ACC with Virginia and No. 18 Louisville, with North Carolina holding a one-game lead in first place.

Miami is looking to avoid an ending like the last time UVA paid a visit – the Cavaliers left South Florida with a double-overtime win. Virginia also won this season’s first matchup 66-58 in Charlottesville back in January.

Virginia is the No. 2 scoring defense in the country, so the Canes will need their stars to perform on Monday. After a 10-point showing Saturday, redshirt senior guard Sheldon McClellan will look to get back to his scoring ways. Miami’s leading scorer at 15.8 points per game also posts the top shooting percentage among ACC guards at 52 percent.

Redshirt senior guard Angel Rodriguez needs to continue his recent upward trend. Rodriguez has scored double digits in nine of the last 10 games while averaging a solid 45.7 percent shooting from the field.

However, Miami might be without star sixth-man Ja’Quan Newton, whose status for Monday is unknown. The sophomore guard left the North Carolina game early with a bone bruise on his left shin. The Canes do not have another player that can replicate his production off the bench.

The Cavaliers will have had a week’s worth of rest heading into Monday night. Miami must keep an eye on Malcolm Brogdon, who has had 13 games this season with 20 or more points. The redshirt senior guard is averaging 17.8 points per game on 47 percent shooting from the field this season.

The Canes must avoid turnovers and take advantage of scoring opportunities against the stingy Virginia defense. On the other side of the ball, Miami has to lock down the paint. While giving up a season-high 96 points against UNC Saturday, the Canes allowed 50 points inside the lane.

A win over Virginia will give the Canes a much-needed boost amid a brutal four-game stretch. After UNC and Virginia, Miami has to face Louisville and No. 19 Notre Dame in its next two games.

The Canes play Virginia at 7 p.m. on Monday at the BankUnited Center.

Chloe Harrison

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...