Dear V

Dear V: Should we have an open relationship?

My boyfriend and I have dated for three years. He moved for work last year, so we’re in a long-distance relationship now and it’s tough. We talk on the phone almost every day, but it doesn’t feel the same as cuddling with Netflix or, y’know … intimacy.

I joked about wishing we could teleport and have sex together, which gave my boyfriend an idea: an open relationship. He said we’d still be a couple but could both let off steam with nearby people.

It sounds like a good idea. I’d like to be physical with someone, but I’m scared of it going wrong … what if he falls in love with someone he sleeps with?

Sincerely,

(Mostly) Monogamous Mindy

Dear (Mostly) Monogamous Mindy,

There’s this cute little thing called oxytocin that’s released in your brain during sex. It’s called the “love hormone” and it’s why random one-night stands can accidentally become long-term relationships.

While plenty of people thrive in open relationships, many couples end up broken-hearted or betrayed after welcoming others into the mix.

Depending on how many partners you’ve had and how casually you view sex, this could end up strengthening the bond between you two or fanning the flames of jealousy.

While V’s known to be “out there,” I’m not so radical as to feel open relationships should replace the conventional practice of monogamy – if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. But if you feel more progressive than your peers, go for it.

My advice? Define what “sex” means to you before spreading it like wildfire.

If you and your boyfriend view sex as a casual activity to relieve stress, then by all means, welcome more folks into the herd. But if you believe sex is shared between two people to express love for one another, don’t try to use an open relationship as a Band-Aid for the underlying problem: distance.

It’s hard to go without physical contact for so long. We’re humans and we all crave to be close with someone. But before you become jealous and possessive of each other and interrogate one another on who’s booping who while you’re apart, consider other ways to be close.

We live in a world where technology is at our fingertips. Get seductive on Snapchat, get scantily-clad on Skype, or even go back in time and Tango on the telephone. If that’s not enough, add some luddite flair and bust out handwritten love letters. The goal here is to be intimate despite being miles apart.

If you’re not ready for an open-relationship but you both are lonely, don’t beat a dead horse. Take a break until you two can live closer or try moving on and seeing local people.

Life’s too short to be unhappy and distance can get the best of any duo..

-V

About Author

V Advice Columnist

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...