Black Awareness Month’s annual Day of Service volunteers mentor youth at Overtown Youth Center

During Saturday's Black Awareness Month Day of Service, freshman Kyra Freeman works with students at the Overtown Youth Center. Amanda Herrera // Contributing Photographer

During Saturday’s Black Awareness Month Day of Service, freshman Kyra Freeman works with students at the Overtown Youth Center. Amanda Herrera // Contributing Photographer

Students headed to the Overtown Youth Center Saturday morning for a day full of education, service and fun as a part of Black Awareness Month (BAM)’s annual Day of Service.

Last year, children were brought on to UM’s Coral Gables campus. This year, UM students traveled to another environment – an element that sophomore and Recording Secretary for BAM Day of Service Christa Anderson said would “make a difference in the child’s experience.”

“We wanted to make sure that this year we were the ones reaching out to them,” Anderson said. “It’s important for the kids to be in their own environment. It makes it more intimate.”

Organized by United Black Students, the service day included a smaller number of UM participants this year compared to the last, with just more than 75 student volunteers and 110 children from local community centers. The children were paired with student mentors for the day. Together, they took part in different activities, including math, English and nutrition lessons. The day was also spent playing a game of freeze dance, playing basketball and jumping in a bounce house.

Throughout the day, mentors and children moved from room to room in the center. Each different station provided them with tools to equip them for the future. In one room, kids were encouraged to act out what they wanted to be when they grew up. Some discussed their future aspirations to become doctors, newscasters and marine biologists.

This particular activity emphasized one of the main goals of this year’s day of service – to “empower the youth” and show them that college is a possibility, according to BAM Day of Service Chair Keion Farmer.

“We want them to know that we come from probably very similar circumstances and we still made it to the University of Miami,” Farmer said. “They can do the same.”

Other student organizations also participated in the service day. UM’s Multicultural Nursing Student Association held an activity room centered on the impact of proper nutrition. Through dancing and coloring, undergraduate nursing students helped the children to understand the importance of exercise and a balanced diet.

Nursing student and senior Geydis Pupo said that the importance of the day for her was to become a more “well-informed, well-rounded cultural nurse” and to use her future profession to give back to the community.

Throughout the day, students and their partners danced, sang and played their way through activities with smiles on their faces. Anderson said this was the whole purpose of the day – for students to remember that they were once that age, to help to give back and empower children.

“Once in our lives, we were all around this age. It’s important for us to go back into that mindset and help bring up the leaders for tomorrow,” she said.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM undergraduate students resumed classes Monday, some ready, some not, but everyone glad to be back ...

The bold vision for advancing health care education and practice manifests itself this Thursday, Sep ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

University of Miami women's golfer Dewi Weber wasted little time this season in adding to her a ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...