Edge, Food

5 local restaurants offer diverse tastes

SUSHISAMBA Coral Gables
A little on the pricey side, this pick boasts Japanese-Brazilian fusions and tasty tapas. The Coral Gables location sits just off of Miracle Mile in the Westin Colonnade hotel. Since this spot is far from South Beach, you won’t see the crowds of the Lincoln Road location and you won’t need reservations. The best small plate is the crispy yellowtail taquitos topped with a spicy aji panca foam. Finish with a few rolls: Samba Coral Gables, El Topo, Sao Paolo, Hamapeno and Viva Samba, which are the fan favorites.

SUSHISAMBA is located at 180 Aragon Ave. in Coral Gables.

Swine 
If you’re looking for revamped southern comfort, choose Swine Southern Table & Bar. Just off of Miracle Mile, this pick has a rustic atmosphere and a menu that’s generous with bacon. You may be tempted to get one of everything, but if you don’t order the angus burnt ends or the green apple brussels, you’re missing out. Finish off the night with the toffee-and-bourbon cinnamon roll if you can spare another bite.

Swine Southern Table & Bar is located at 2415 Ponce De Leon Blvd. in Coral Gables.

Threefold Cafe
For brunch, you can’t beat Threefold. This unassuming spot off of Miracle Mile boasts healthy fare like avocado toast and granola as well as decadent pancakes and French toast. The mason jars and floral arrangements make it Pinterest-worthy.

Threefold Cafe is located at 141 Giralda Ave. in Coral Gables

Buns & Buns
Located just a few minutes from campus on Sunset Drive, this rustic gastropub is affordable and great for friends. Sit down to steampunk decor and a big-screen TV while you watch the chef cook in an open-concept kitchen. As the name suggests, this pick is great for bread lovers. The steamed pork belly buns are the best thing on the menu and the cheesy spinach poofs are a close second.

Buns & Buns is located at 5748 Sunset Drive in South Miami.

Sawa Restaurant & Lounge
Right down the road in Merrick Park, Sawa is the perfect place for an outdoor date. Sit in the open-air lounge and try their flavored hookah. The food is Japanese-Mediterranean fusion, so you can order anything from sushi to baba ganoush. The two top dishes are ham croquettes and Asian-glazed baby back ribs. If you’re a coffee drinker, they have the best cortadito in the Gables.

Sawa Restaurant & Lounge is located at 360 San Lorenzo Ave. #1500 in Coral Gables.

Haley Walker

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...