Baseball, Sports

Zack Collins, Brandon Lopez significant for Miami baseball’s infield

The men’s baseball team hang outs in the dugout before the annual Alumni game at Mark Light Field at Alex Rodriguez Stadium Saturday afternoon. The team is preparing for their opening series against Rutgers this weekend. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

As spring approaches, the Hurricanes baseball preview continues with a look at key contributors in the infield this coming season. While some of the outfielders may garner a lot of the attention because of their gaudy numbers at the plate, the guys manning the infield will play a pivotal role in the team’s success through their defensive contributions.

The Canes will have one of the best catchers behind the plate for them this year in junior Zack Collins. After being named ACC Freshman of the Year in 2014, Collins developed into an All-American catcher during his sophomore campaign. He was a staple defensively behind the plate, starting 66 of the team’s 67 games and rarely letting a wayward pitch get by him. He also excelled in the batter’s box, becoming one of the nations most feared hitters, exemplified by the fact that he drew more walks than any other player in the ACC.

The Canes relied partly on Collins to supply the power in their lineup, and he certainly responded to that challenge. He totaled 15 home runs and came in second in the ACC with a whopping 70 RBI. Collins will be looking to earn All-America honors again and fuel the Canes to a second straight College World Series in the coming months.

One of Collins’s counterparts, senior shortstop Brandon Lopez, will also be an integral component to the team’s infield this season. That’s once he gets back from his suspension that is, which could be for as long as six games. Lopez was suspended for “violating team rules.” Once he returns, Lopez will be called upon for the consistency and leadership that Miami fans have become accustomed to throughout his first three years in the lineup. Lopez, who has held the starting shortstop position for his entire career, will look to end his days in Miami on a high note.

However, it will be hard to top what he has already accomplished during his tenure. In his junior season, Lopez stood out as one of the best defensive shortstops in the nation, while also putting up impressive numbers at the plate. He hit .375 in ACC play, and he is always a threat to hit for extra bases when he steps into the batter’s box. Lopez also performed well in big games, including a 3-for-3 performance in the College World Series against Florida including two doubles.

While both of these upperclassmen have bright futures ahead of them at the professional level, their current focus will be on leading Miami back to Omaha. Don’t be surprised if they do that and rack up a few individual accolades along the way.

The Canes kick their season off against Rutgers at 7 p.m. on Friday at Mark Light Field.

Click here to read about the Canes’ outfield.

About Author

Cody Brown

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...