Baseball, Sports

Zack Collins, Brandon Lopez significant for Miami baseball’s infield

The men’s baseball team hang outs in the dugout before the annual Alumni game at Mark Light Field at Alex Rodriguez Stadium Saturday afternoon. The team is preparing for their opening series against Rutgers this weekend. Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

As spring approaches, the Hurricanes baseball preview continues with a look at key contributors in the infield this coming season. While some of the outfielders may garner a lot of the attention because of their gaudy numbers at the plate, the guys manning the infield will play a pivotal role in the team’s success through their defensive contributions.

The Canes will have one of the best catchers behind the plate for them this year in junior Zack Collins. After being named ACC Freshman of the Year in 2014, Collins developed into an All-American catcher during his sophomore campaign. He was a staple defensively behind the plate, starting 66 of the team’s 67 games and rarely letting a wayward pitch get by him. He also excelled in the batter’s box, becoming one of the nations most feared hitters, exemplified by the fact that he drew more walks than any other player in the ACC.

The Canes relied partly on Collins to supply the power in their lineup, and he certainly responded to that challenge. He totaled 15 home runs and came in second in the ACC with a whopping 70 RBI. Collins will be looking to earn All-America honors again and fuel the Canes to a second straight College World Series in the coming months.

One of Collins’s counterparts, senior shortstop Brandon Lopez, will also be an integral component to the team’s infield this season. That’s once he gets back from his suspension that is, which could be for as long as six games. Lopez was suspended for “violating team rules.” Once he returns, Lopez will be called upon for the consistency and leadership that Miami fans have become accustomed to throughout his first three years in the lineup. Lopez, who has held the starting shortstop position for his entire career, will look to end his days in Miami on a high note.

However, it will be hard to top what he has already accomplished during his tenure. In his junior season, Lopez stood out as one of the best defensive shortstops in the nation, while also putting up impressive numbers at the plate. He hit .375 in ACC play, and he is always a threat to hit for extra bases when he steps into the batter’s box. Lopez also performed well in big games, including a 3-for-3 performance in the College World Series against Florida including two doubles.

While both of these upperclassmen have bright futures ahead of them at the professional level, their current focus will be on leading Miami back to Omaha. Don’t be surprised if they do that and rack up a few individual accolades along the way.

The Canes kick their season off against Rutgers at 7 p.m. on Friday at Mark Light Field.

Click here to read about the Canes’ outfield.

Cody Brown

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...