Campus Life, News

Freshman Joseph Diiorio wins Muscle Milk’s three-point shooting contest

The Canes men’s basketball team defeated ACC foe Virginia Tech with ease Wednesday night, but another Cane had already won at halftime. While the teams were in the locker rooms drawing up second-half strategy, freshman Joseph Diiorio won Muscle Milk’s Beat30 Three-point Shooting Contest.

He won with a score of five points after beating out recent UM graduate Javier Diaz. The two contestants shot in front of the 6,000-person crowd at the BankUnited Center.

“Shooting in front of a big crowd was an exhilarating milieu. The nerves definitely wore me down, causing fatigue, but having my friends cheering me on made it a memorable experience,” Diiorio said.

Muscle Milk’s event coordinator, Lilliana Antequera, understands the difficulty the shooters faced.

“In our experience, most people don’t shoot as high when there’s thousands of people watching them. But they handled it like pros,” Antequera said.

Both Diaz and Diiorio were given prizes for their shooting skills, but the grand prize of the national contest is to meet with NBA superstar Stephen Curry. Although Diiorio beat out Diaz in UM’s final competition, Diaz scored a school-high 16 points in the preliminary round. His score currently ranks second in the nation among the 30 universities that Muscle Milk bring this completion to, and he is still in the running to meet with Curry.

The NBA recently held its three-point contest this past weekend, but the rules of this three-point contest varied from that of the Association. Unlike the NBA, in this contest all shots are attempted from the top of the three-point arch and not from different angles. Also, in the NBA’s contest, shooters have a set of Moneyballs — shots that are worth two points.

Before the final shootout Wednesday night, there was a preliminary round Monday night. The event was run by Antequera along with help from several UM volunteers. Chief among the volunteers was senior Symon Rowlands, who was Muscle Milk’s person of contact at the university. The preliminary round featured 72 participants.

“The turnout was huge. We had 72 contestants this year as opposed to 25 last year,” Rowlands said.

Junior Billah Abdul-Jalaal was one of the many participants at the event, which took place in the Wellness Center. He won the same competition last year on the national level, and got to meet Curry.

“I didn’t even know that was a thing, like that was to meet Steph Curry. I thought it was just shooting, and when I found out I could meet him, that was awesome,” Jalaal said.

Last year he recorded a stellar score of 27 points, but this time around he only score 13 points.

“Honestly I am more nervous now than I was last year, because people know,” Jalaal said before he shot.

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user RondellMelling.

Correction, Feb. 22: Lilliana Antequera’s name was spelled incorrectly in the original version of this article. 

Tej Joshi

9 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Freshman Joseph Diiorio wins Muscle Milk’s three-point shooting contest”

1. Melvina says:

Fantastic blog! Do yyou have any tips for aspiring writers?

I’m planning to start my own website soon but
    I’m a little lost on everything. Would you advise starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many
    options out there that I’m completely confuseed
    .. Any suggestions? Bless you!

2. Which pages are the users leaving almost immediately.
    Do not be afraid of the noise and strange sounds, it just means that the system pumps out the air and takes the water.
    You can still focus the business on a single number but one that.

3. It’s very easy to find out any topic on net as compared to books, as I found this post at this site.

4. Für die Anwendung von Zitronensaft: Etwas frisch gepressten Zitronensaft auf den betroffenen Bereich geben und 10 Minuten wirken lassen.

5. Ther are two golf swing types available a 3-click option and the true swin option. 2002 AAA Burlington Eagles, ONT 5 Falcons Hockey Assn ,
    IL 32002 ELITE ISS Kings, NJ 4 Toronto Marlboros,
    ONT 3. Three forwards are pkaced very closee to the goal,
    looking for rebounds.

6. Great Stuff says:

As Google is the most popular search engine today, webmasters are keen on having their websites achieve a higher ranking in the search engine results it provides.

Uploading videos is straight forward and the site has lots of help so
    that you can do this. You can play this file on any
    portable MP4 players such as the mobile phones, i – Pod and i – Phone.

7. Brock says:

In diesem Fall sollte das Präparat sofort abgesetzt werden und vom Arztt abklärt
    werden, woran es liegen kann.

8. One of the biggest challenges you will face with an HTML
    email campaign is making sure yokur designs are compliant with W3C
    standards. There are many proven ways to make money with affiliate marketing likke article marketing, viodeo marketing, forum marketing, email marketing and blogging.
    These colors should be well combined so as to create a harmonious balance
    during the design of the webpage.

9. Asking questions are in fact nice thing if you are not understanding something fully, however this
    post presents pleasant understanding even.

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...