Art, Edge

South Miami Rotary Art Festival brings art exhibits to Sunset Place

When Miami students hear the words “Sunset Place,” they think of catching a movie, going on a shopping spree or enjoying an off-campus dinner with friends. But one weekend a year, the street in front of the mall, Sunset Drive, transforms from a retail destination to a vibrant artist’s exhibition. This Saturday and Sunday, Canes can get a taste of some of the best art Miami has to offer at the South Miami Rotary Art Festival.

Free and open to the public, this event features the work of more than 150 exhibitors. Their diverse work includes a range of styles such as paintings, photography, jewelry and sculptures. Like last month’s Beaux Arts Festival on campus, this is a juried competition, with prizes for the best exhibitor in each artistic medium.

In addition to streets lined with canvas and necklaces, the Rotary Art Festival features food vendors and a beer garden. There will also be live music, including jazz musicians and the blues band Iko-Iko. After the official end of the festival on Saturday night, there will be a jam session open to musicians from 6-8 p.m.

This festival is not only a chance to expand cultural horizons and take a break from ordinary campus life, but it is also an opportunity to give back to the Miami-Dade community. All proceeds will go toward Rotary Club scholarships for aspiring college students as well as the organization’s other charitable efforts.

If you’re an art buff with a free weekend or if your budget won’t cover the Uber to Wynwood, the South Miami Rotary Art Festival is a convenient and exciting way to broaden your cultural horizons just a short walk from campus.

If you go:

What: South Miami Rotary Art Festival

Where: Sunset Drive, from U.S. 1 to Red Road

When: Feb. 21-22, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Cost: Free

For more information, visit southmiamiartfest.org.

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user lulek41.

Madelyn Paquette

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...