Art, Edge

South Miami Rotary Art Festival brings art exhibits to Sunset Place

When Miami students hear the words “Sunset Place,” they think of catching a movie, going on a shopping spree or enjoying an off-campus dinner with friends. But one weekend a year, the street in front of the mall, Sunset Drive, transforms from a retail destination to a vibrant artist’s exhibition. This Saturday and Sunday, Canes can get a taste of some of the best art Miami has to offer at the South Miami Rotary Art Festival.

Free and open to the public, this event features the work of more than 150 exhibitors. Their diverse work includes a range of styles such as paintings, photography, jewelry and sculptures. Like last month’s Beaux Arts Festival on campus, this is a juried competition, with prizes for the best exhibitor in each artistic medium.

In addition to streets lined with canvas and necklaces, the Rotary Art Festival features food vendors and a beer garden. There will also be live music, including jazz musicians and the blues band Iko-Iko. After the official end of the festival on Saturday night, there will be a jam session open to musicians from 6-8 p.m.

This festival is not only a chance to expand cultural horizons and take a break from ordinary campus life, but it is also an opportunity to give back to the Miami-Dade community. All proceeds will go toward Rotary Club scholarships for aspiring college students as well as the organization’s other charitable efforts.

If you’re an art buff with a free weekend or if your budget won’t cover the Uber to Wynwood, the South Miami Rotary Art Festival is a convenient and exciting way to broaden your cultural horizons just a short walk from campus.

If you go:

What: South Miami Rotary Art Festival

Where: Sunset Drive, from U.S. 1 to Red Road

When: Feb. 21-22, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Cost: Free

For more information, visit southmiamiartfest.org.

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user lulek41.

About Author

Madelyn Paquette

Last year the rain fell in torrents. Wednesday was all scorching sunshine. Fifteen former Miami Hurr ...

See phtos from the University of Miami's annual Pro Day, where outgoing UM players perform for ...

Quarterback Brad Kaaya ambled out of the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence close to 3 p.m. Wed ...

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete at two of the top outdoor meets in the Uni ...

What's Pro Day like at The U? We followed along from start to finish to find out. ...

Greg Veliz delivered a sparkling performance on the hill, but Miami fell to No. 12 FGCU 3-0. ...