Art, Edge

South Miami Rotary Art Festival brings art exhibits to Sunset Place

When Miami students hear the words “Sunset Place,” they think of catching a movie, going on a shopping spree or enjoying an off-campus dinner with friends. But one weekend a year, the street in front of the mall, Sunset Drive, transforms from a retail destination to a vibrant artist’s exhibition. This Saturday and Sunday, Canes can get a taste of some of the best art Miami has to offer at the South Miami Rotary Art Festival.

Free and open to the public, this event features the work of more than 150 exhibitors. Their diverse work includes a range of styles such as paintings, photography, jewelry and sculptures. Like last month’s Beaux Arts Festival on campus, this is a juried competition, with prizes for the best exhibitor in each artistic medium.

In addition to streets lined with canvas and necklaces, the Rotary Art Festival features food vendors and a beer garden. There will also be live music, including jazz musicians and the blues band Iko-Iko. After the official end of the festival on Saturday night, there will be a jam session open to musicians from 6-8 p.m.

This festival is not only a chance to expand cultural horizons and take a break from ordinary campus life, but it is also an opportunity to give back to the Miami-Dade community. All proceeds will go toward Rotary Club scholarships for aspiring college students as well as the organization’s other charitable efforts.

If you’re an art buff with a free weekend or if your budget won’t cover the Uber to Wynwood, the South Miami Rotary Art Festival is a convenient and exciting way to broaden your cultural horizons just a short walk from campus.

If you go:

What: South Miami Rotary Art Festival

Where: Sunset Drive, from U.S. 1 to Red Road

When: Feb. 21-22, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Cost: Free

For more information, visit southmiamiartfest.org.

Feature image courtesy Pixabay user lulek41.

Madelyn Paquette

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...

Sean Grossman broke the 30-minute mark to set a school record in the men's 10,000m at the Virgi ...