Edge, Food

Mark Light Field milkshake vendor adds 2 flavors

There’s more to a UM baseball game than the game itself. For some fans, a trip to see the Hurricanes isn’t complete without one of vendor Mitch Freedman’s famous milkshakes. This season, two new flavors will be added to the hundreds of combinations that are already on the menu.

The first newly introduced flavor is the Grandma Debbie, a shake named after Freedman’s wife of 42 years who has been making homemade cream-cheese brownies for years. She has even shipped the baked goods to Super Bowls and the Masters Golf Tournament.

“We decided to use her recipe and make a cream-cheese brownie shake,” Freedman said.

This will be the first cake shake on the menu, so Freedman also added red velvet because of its general popularity.

Freedman has been selling milkshakes to the lines of fans waiting at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field for more than 30 years. He says the experience has been a central part of his life.

“We started making shakes and 31 years later we are an overnight success,” Freedman said.

His personal favorite is the Nestor Special, a mocha and hot-fudge shake. He said the shake was named after one of his earliest and best customers, Nestor Leon.

“He has since passed away, but his son and namesake have started coming to the games and he moved me to tears last year, thanking me for naming that shake after his dad,” Freedman said.

As for the home of Freedman’s shakes, he says Mark Light is a venue that offers unique relationships with fans.

“It is truly a family experience. Those of us who work there work hard to keep it that way,” Freedman said. “The shake phenomenon is just an outgrowth of that. People love to be involved with shake flavors and future names.”

Info Box:

Freedman’s Milkshakes

Where: Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field

New Flavors: Grandma Debbie and red velvet

Cost: $6 and up

Emily Dabau

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

Dewan Huell is the only Miami native on the University of Miami men’s basketball team, and he wears ...

1. HEAT: Look out, 'cuz the Heat are sizzlin' hot!: Looks like Dion Waiters is done for th ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

UMIAMIFL also outperformed two key S&P benchmarks by more than nine percent. ...

Hurricanes and Blue Devils square off at 7 p.m. Monday. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...

The University of Miami announced Monday that it has relieved Mary-Frances Monroe of her duties as h ...

As the University of Miami heads into 2018, check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Hurricanes veterans and newcomers alike opened their season strong at the UAB Blazer Invitational. ...