Dear V

Dear V: My bae might be gay

My boyfriend hasn’t been attracted to me lately and hasn’t wanted to have sex as much as usual.

I had a gut feeling something’s wrong, so I went through his phone. I feel guilty about it and want to tell him, but I don’t know how to apologize without mentioning what I found.

He’s been talking to a guy constantly. They exchanged Snapchats and I’m concerned about the kind of Snaps they’re sharing – the conversation between them seems quite flirty.

I think my boyfriend might be questioning his sexuality. I feel awful – this is the guy I’m dating and am in love with. If he’s not straight, why is he with me, a girl? Please help.

Sincerely,

Overlooked Olivia

Dear Overlooked Olivia,

First off – since you’re already guilty, I won’t beat you over the head – but in any relationship, no matter how rocky things are, you shouldn’t go through your significant other’s phone.

Relationships should be built on trust. If you’re constantly doubting your partner’s honesty, then you either have trust issues and should work on that first, or you and your partner aren’t meant to be.

Now, for the second issue – whether your boyfriend is involved with another guy – don’t take that personally. He probably does love you, but he might be realizing that he loves you platonically, not sexually. This isn’t something to be upset about. Sexuality is a fluid thing and it takes many people decades to discover themselves.

The true thing to be upset about is if he’s cheating on you with this guy. No matter whether he’s questioning his sexuality or not, it’s not right to go behind your back like that. If he’s questioning, he should have ended your relationship.

If you’re certain that’s what’s going on, then it’s time to admit you snooped. Try to have a conversation with him about what you saw without painful, back-and-forth accusations.

If you aren’t sure, then ask him to explain himself before jumping to conclusions. Maybe he’s just getting to know someone as a friend. If you have no proof otherwise, don’t assume the worst before getting the facts.

Either way, it’s time to move on. It’s clear you and your boyfriend don’t have a foundation of trust if you went through his phone. Take a break to focus on yourself and your own life.

If it turns out your boyfriend is questioning, move on, but offer him support as a friend. He’s not doing it to hurt you and this can be difficult to come to terms with.

He’ll need a strong support system – and that includes you. Good luck.

-V

Advice Columnist

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

A six-pack of UM nuggets on a Tuesday: • UM receiver Dionte Mullins’ final statement this spring - i ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

University of Miami Coach Jim Larrañaga has announced the addition of Lamont Franklin as the directo ...

HurricaneSports.com caught up with Miami's current hardwood ProCanes. Here's where you can ...

A trio of Canes are represented in the polls, with Lomacki at No. 64 in the ITA Singles rankings and ...

The Miami women's tennis team has continued its rise up the ITA national rankings, checking in ...

Romy Gonzalez scored the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, and Miami held on for an 8-7 win over hos ...