Campus Life, News

Former congressmen Anthony Weiner, Joe Garcia discuss modern political issues, demographics

Two former congressmen, who are known for vastly different reasons, spoke about everything from immigration reform to Jeb Bush’s eyewear Monday night in the Storer Auditorium at the University of Miami.

Former congressman Joe Garcia is familiar to Miami natives for representing the city in the U.S. House of Representatives from 2013-2015. Anthony Weiner, a former congressman from New York, may be more well-known than Garcia because of his sexting scandals that made national news, even when speaking at a school that Garcia graduated from. Before the two even spoke, a student had texted teacher’s assistant Kevin Sands during the class asking if the man at the back of the class was Weiner.

Garcia and Weiner were at the school to speak to a class called Latino Politics and the 2016 Presidential Primary Elections.

After a short lecture by professor Fernand Amandi, Garcia began by telling students that despite the “fear factor” of the current election cycle, the country is in the best state it’s ever been in. He then took questions from the approximately 70 students in attendance.

Garcia said that the current rhetoric around immigration, especially the idea of building a wall between the U.S. and Mexico that has been touted by Republican Presidential candidate Donald Trump, was “absurd.”

“Immigration is good,” Garcia said. “Students like you, millennials, know you’re not competing with someone across the [Mexican] border, you know you’re competing with someone in China.”

Garcia, a Cuban American, responded to a student who asked about the recently improved relations between the U.S. and Cuba, saying that they would be positive for the people of Cuba. He said that while many older Cuban Americans may still support harsh sanctions on the country’s government, the best way to incite change in the country is by opening up travel to the island nation just 90 miles south of Miami. Garcia added that change becomes more frightening as people get older, so universities usually are at the forefront of change.

“Your walking in the streets of Havana will have more of an effect on Cuba than your grandpa sitting at Cafe Versailles damning them,” Garcia said.

Garcia, who promised the students that Weiner would be more entertaining than himself, then gave way to the former congressman and failed New York City mayoral candidate.

Weiner’s discussion with students strayed away from the Latino vote more than Garcia’s, touching on the current state of political campaigning and presidential candidates, consistently evoking laughter from both the students and Amandi.

He criticized polling, which he said has become the focus of campaigns and campaign coverage, and pointed to President Barack Obama’s win in the predominantly white state of Iowa in the 2008 primaries as an example of polls being wrong.

William Riggin

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...