Baseball, Sports

Report: Baseball team dismisses Beauprez, suspends Lopez and Smith

With the start of the season just a few days away, the baseball team has dismissed junior pitcher Derek Beauprez and suspended two other players for a violation of team rules, the Miami Herald reports. Beauprez is no longer listed on the team’s baseball roster.

According to the Herald, starting senior shortstop Brandon Lopez is suspended for as many as six games. Lopez was also suspended at the start of the last two seasons. Backup sophomore outfielder Justin Smith is suspended indefinitely.

Beauprez, drafted by the Boston Red Sox in the 25th round coming out of high school at Cherry Creek High, was a reliable relief pitcher for the team. Lopez had a .303 batting average last season in his third consecutive year as a starter at shortstop. Lopez was ranked by Baseball America as the No. 13 freshman in the country coming out of high school.

The Hurricanes start the season on Friday at Mark Light Field with a three-game series against Rutgers. The team plays St. Thomas next Wednesday followed by a home series against No. 1 Florida over the weekend.

Mark Singer

The king has been dethroned. The University of Miami’s often painful uphill journey came crashing to ...

University of Miami tennis player Estela Perez-Somarriba, who made history on Sunday as the first fr ...

The University of Miami baseball team isn’t used to straddling the fence when it comes to being invi ...

Now, all that’s left is the waiting. The University of Miami baseball team, fighting to extend its 4 ...

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team forced a third set in the NCAA Singles ...

Inclement weather made them wait, but Ebony Morrison and a pair of University of Miami relay teams p ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Miami's run at the 2017 ACC Championship ended in the semifinals Saturday, as the sixth-seeded ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...