Baseball, Sports

Report: Baseball team dismisses Beauprez, suspends Lopez and Smith

With the start of the season just a few days away, the baseball team has dismissed junior pitcher Derek Beauprez and suspended two other players for a violation of team rules, the Miami Herald reports. Beauprez is no longer listed on the team’s baseball roster.

According to the Herald, starting senior shortstop Brandon Lopez is suspended for as many as six games. Lopez was also suspended at the start of the last two seasons. Backup sophomore outfielder Justin Smith is suspended indefinitely.

Beauprez, drafted by the Boston Red Sox in the 25th round coming out of high school at Cherry Creek High, was a reliable relief pitcher for the team. Lopez had a .303 batting average last season in his third consecutive year as a starter at shortstop. Lopez was ranked by Baseball America as the No. 13 freshman in the country coming out of high school.

The Hurricanes start the season on Friday at Mark Light Field with a three-game series against Rutgers. The team plays St. Thomas next Wednesday followed by a home series against No. 1 Florida over the weekend.

Mark Singer

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...