Baseball, Sports

Report: Baseball team dismisses Beauprez, suspends Lopez and Smith

With the start of the season just a few days away, the baseball team has dismissed junior pitcher Derek Beauprez and suspended two other players for a violation of team rules, the Miami Herald reports. Beauprez is no longer listed on the team’s baseball roster.

According to the Herald, starting senior shortstop Brandon Lopez is suspended for as many as six games. Lopez was also suspended at the start of the last two seasons. Backup sophomore outfielder Justin Smith is suspended indefinitely.

Beauprez, drafted by the Boston Red Sox in the 25th round coming out of high school at Cherry Creek High, was a reliable relief pitcher for the team. Lopez had a .303 batting average last season in his third consecutive year as a starter at shortstop. Lopez was ranked by Baseball America as the No. 13 freshman in the country coming out of high school.

The Hurricanes start the season on Friday at Mark Light Field with a three-game series against Rutgers. The team plays St. Thomas next Wednesday followed by a home series against No. 1 Florida over the weekend.

Mark Singer

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...