Miami track team competes in Tyson Invitational, LSU High Performance Meet

sports cross country

The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes track team competed in two meets last weekend: the Tyson Invitational at the University of Arkansas, and the LSU High Performance Meet. Here’s a look at how the Canes performed in the two meets.

TYSON INVITATIONAL

On Friday, junior Ebony Morrison went into the women’s 60m hurdles final with the fastest time in the field at 8.21. She would clock a new personal best at 8.18 to win third place.

Freshman Anne Den Otter finished second on Saturday in the women’s 3000m run. With a time of 10:10.25, Den Otter becomes the second woman this season to crack the top 5 in Miami history in the event. Junior Gabrielle Hesslau ranks a spot ahead of Den Otter on the all-time list.

In the women’s pole vault invitational, senior Alysha Newman finished third with a vault of 4.50m. It ties her prior performance for the second-best vault in the NCAA.

In the women’s 4×4 invitational, Miami ran against South Carolina in the first heat. Junior Aiyanna Stiverne, freshman Brittny Ellis, junior Shakima Wimbley and junior Anthonia Moore clocked a season-best 3:34.04. Wimbley overtook the Gamecocks on the third leg, and Moore brought it home with a powerful two laps around the indoor track. After the three heats, the Canes finished fifth overall. The time is also the fifth-best in school history in the event.

Coming into the women’s 200m invitational with the sixth-fastest time in the nation, Wimbley finished sixth with a time of 23.20.

On the men’s side, senior John-Patrick Friday finished second in the triple jump at 15.49m.

LSU HIGH PERFORMANCE

The women’s team finished third overall and men’s team placed fifth overall at the LSU High Performance Meet.

In the women’s field events, senior Precious Ogunleye only had two legal throws of her six attempts, but her fourth attempt at 20.73m was enough to win the weight throw. The Canes also took places 3-6 in the women’s shot put, with senior Tiffany Okieme earning the bronze with a 15.89m throw. In the women’s high jump, freshman Kyra Maryland finished second with a jump of 1.69m.

In the women’s 60m hurdles, sophomore Stefani Kerrison and redshirt sophomore Lateisha Philson finished first and third, respectively, with times of 8.46 and 8.73.

Sophomore Trishelle Leacock earned third place in the women’s 200m with a time of 24.89, disrupting an LSU sweep.

For the men in field events, redshirt senior Isaiah Simmons’ first attempt in the shot put at 18.54m earned him second place in the event. It was his first time competing this season. Freshman Andreas Christodoulou finished in second in the men’s high jump at 1.80m.