Basketball, Sports

Notre Dame Fighting Irish crush Miami Hurricanes 90-69

The No. 19-ranked Hurricanes braved the ice and snow of South Bend, Indiana, to take on Notre Dame Sunday afternoon. It was a tough day for Miami beyond the stinging weather. The Canes suffered their worst loss of the season, falling 90-69 to the Irish.

Although the Irish’s sole conference loss since joining the ACC in 2014 came against the Canes last season, the nation’s third-best team was determined not to lose again. Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame finalist Muffet McGraw coached the Irish to a 21-point victory.

Turnovers and scoring droughts really hurt the Canes. Miami (21-5, 9-4) had a lot of good looks, but couldn’t get a majority of shots to fall. Notre Dame was relentless on defense and near the basket on offense, garnering twice as many defensive boards and scoring 40 points in the paint. The Fighting Irish led by as many as 36 points.

Although she struggled in the first half, junior guard Jessica Thomas finished with 12 points and five assists. Fellow junior guard Adrienne Motley, Miami’s leading scorer this season, also had trouble attacking the stout Irish defense. She ended with eight points on 3-of-13 shooting from the field.

For the second time against an ACC opponent, freshman center Emese Hof scored in double figures, finishing with 12 points and five rebounds. Redshirt sophomore guard Nigia Greene closed out the game with eight points in her first appearance on the court since Dec. 6. She missed the last 14 games due to an injury.

For the Fighting Irish (24-1, 12-0), freshman Arike Ogunbowale was among four Notre Dame players in double figures and led all players with 18 points.

Miami faces a tough schedule to close out the regular season, including games against No. 12 Louisville and No. 10 Florida State. The Canes next play Virginia Tech at 4 p.m. on Sunday at the BankUnited Center.

About Author

Chloe Harrison

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...