Campus Life, News

News Briefs: LGBT Resource Center Planning Forum, Lunar New Year, Three-Point Contest to Beat Stephen Curry

LGBT Resource Planning Forum

Ronni Sanlo, the director emeritus of the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender (LGBT) Center at UCLA and the former director of the University of Michigan LGBT Center, will be on campus at 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 16, to conduct an open forum with students about the plans for the school’s future LGBT resource center.

Sanlo is the founding chair of the Consortium of Higher Education LGBT Resource Professionals. She created the award-winning Lavender Graduation commencement event, which UM hosted for the first time in 2015. She is a Miami Beach native who once served as an HIV epidemiologist for the Florida Health Department.

“Dr. Sanlo is one of higher education’s most sought-after experts on LGBTQ issues,” said Pat Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs. “I am delighted she has accepted our invitation to join us at UM as we seek to create a truly first-rate and inclusive LGBTQ Center.”

On Wednesday, Feb. 17, Sanlo will also hold a daylong planning meeting intended for the UM community and alumni, as well as a screening of the film “Letters to Anita” at 7:30 p.m. in the Cosford Cinema. The film follows Sanlo, a married mother of two who lost custody of her children after coming out as a lesbian and divorcing her husband.

The meetings will take place in the Shalala Student Center; however, students and community members must have signed up through Orgsync prior to Feb. 12 in order to attend the forum and daylong planning meeting.

Lunar New Year

The fifth-annual Lunar New Year celebration will take place at 6 p.m. Monday night on the Lakeside Patio. The event, hosted by the Asian American Students Association (AASA), Chinese Students and Scholars Association (CSSA) and Hong Kong Student Association (HKSA), will feature Chinese lion dance, Chinese music performances, Chinese food and more showcases of Chinese culture.

Three-Point Contest to Beat Stephen Curry

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center will host Muscle Milk’s national collegiate three-point contest, Beat 30, at 7 p.m. Monday in the center’s main basketball court. Participants get 60 seconds, 25 basketballs and five “money balls” to score as many baskets as they can, with a 30-point maximum.

“Each year we host a three-point basketball contest. But this year, Muscle Milk invited us to serve as a host site for its Beat 30 challenge,” said Tom Soria, assistant director of intramurals at the Herbert Wellness Center, in a press release. “This is an exciting opportunity for students to compete in a national contest.”

The winner of the Beat 30 competition gets a chance to see a Golden State Warriors game and to meet Warriors player Stephen Curry. The winner and runner-up will also compete in the IM championship at the men’s home basketball game against Virginia Tech on Wednesday, Feb. 17, to win a gift bag from Muscle Milk.

William Riggin

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...