Campus Life, News

‘Know Justice, Know Peace’ symposium explores social injustice issues

Dr. Rashawn Ray, of the University of Maryland, College Park, lectures during the Know Justice Know Peace 2 event in the CAS Gallery Wednesday afternoon. Erum Kidwai // Staff Photographer

David Ikard, director of Africana Studies, lectures during the Know Justice Know Peace 2 event in the CAS Gallery Wednesday afternoon. Erum Kidwai // Staff Photographer

Students intrigued by the issues and tensions of social justice in the U.S. gathered together this week for the University of Miami’s second-annual Know Justice, Know Peace symposium from Feb. 10-12.

The second event of this three-day symposium on Thursday included a panel of renowned social activists hosted by UM Director of Africana Studies David Ikard. Panelists Rashawn Ray, Paula Ioanide and Eduardo Bonilla-Silva discussed how social injustice has been an issue in our country, from the shooting of Trayvon Martin to Beyoncé’s Super Bowl halftime show. Another major topic covered was the recent rise and success of Donald Trump’s presidential campaign.

“Even if he doesn’t win, we are seeing the pendulum for what is allowed in public discourse to be shifted so far right,” said Ray, the associate research director at the Consortium on Race, Gender, and Ethnicity at the University of Maryland, College Park.

“What is allowed and what people are allowed to say and do is so extreme it becomes problematic,” he said.

Aside from national conflicts, the speakers were able to share personal issues and anecdotes about social justice.

Ioanide, an associate professor of comparative race and ethnicity studies at the Center for the Study of Culture, Race and Ethnicity at Ithaca College, shared her journey and the cultural shift from Belarus, Romania to a town in America where she was placed in a different cultural environment.

“I remember … moving from one racial space, a predominately white space, into a non-white space and remembered how the feeling would shift and everyone would treat me differently because I was an immigrant,” Ioanide said.

For the remainder of the event, students and attendees had the opportunity to spark discussion with guest speakers and to express their opinions on the topic of social justice.

Guest lecturer Dr. Paula Ioanide, from Ithaca College, speaks during the Know Justice Know Peace 2 event Wednesday afternoon in the CAS Gallery as part of Black Awareness Month. Erum Kidwai // Staff Photographer

Correction, Feb. 15: A photo caption in this article originally labeled David Ikard as Rashawn Ray, which was incorrect.

Brian Murillo

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...