Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes hold off Seminoles 67-65 in Tallahassee

Two games in a row, two victories and two near heart attacks. That sums up Miami’s last-second win over Pittsburgh and the No. 12 Hurricanes’ 67-65 nail biter over Florida State in Tallahassee, Fla. on Sunday night.

Miami (20-4, 9-3) blew sizable leads in both games only to come away with the win in the end. Against FSU, the Canes didn’t make a shot during the final four-plus minutes of the game, but four free throws by Tonye Jekiri and sophomore guard Ja’Quan Newton were enough to hold off the Seminoles.

The Canes led by 11 at the half and by as many at 13 at one point. Early foul trouble on Jekiri helped the Seminoles to get back in the game as the senior center picked up his fourth foul less than eight minutes into the second half. Jekiri finished with a game-high nine rebounds and Sheldon McClellan stepped up in his absence, leading all players with 20 points on an injured right ankle.

Miami’s leading scorer is typically very efficient, shooting 53.4 percent from the field coming into the matchup against FSU. McClellan shot just 28.5 percent (4-of-14) against the Seminoles, but the redshirt senior guard hit nine of his 10 free throws to make up for his low percentage from the field.

The Seminoles (16-9, 6-7) tied the game at 50 on a deep three by Devon Bookert with 8:44 remaining. That capped off a 14-5 run by the Seminoles in nearly four and a half minutes. Two free throws by McClellan and back-to-back threes by redshirt senior guard Angel Rodriguez put the Canes up for good.

Miami took a 37-26 lead into half behind a combined 20 points from and junior guard Davon Reed. McClellan was the only player in double figures at 11 points. The last time Miami played in Tallahassee in February 2015, the Canes also led by 11 at the half, but the Seminoles came back to win by one.

Miami once again held FSU’s leading scorer Malik Beasley in check in the opening half. In Miami’s 72-59 over FSU in January, Beasley ended the first half with four points on 2-of-5 shooting. The freshman averaged 17.3 points coming into this game and went into the break with just two points on 0-of-2 shooting.

The Canes jumped out to a 11-2 lead less than six minutes into the game. The Seminoles countered with a run of their own to take a 15-14 lead at the 10:13 mark. Miami took over from there, going on a 17-6 run to take a double-digit with 3:08 left in the half. Miami outrebounded FSU 20-12 and scored 12 points off of 10 Seminole turnovers.

When Miami last played FSU in January, the Hurricanes never trailed as they beat the Seminoles by 13 at the BankUnited Center. Sunday night proved much more difficult, but the Canes walked away with the same result.

The Canes next play Virginia Tech at 9 p.m. on Wednesday at the BankUnited Center.

Mark Singer

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...