Conflicts at University of Florida warn against exclusive system

Student Government elections are this week. The Florida presidential primary will be next month. Time is approaching for citizens and students to choose the systems of power that preside over them. And a new issue brought to light at the University of Florida offers the chance to reflect on how we should make our decisions here at the U.

A group of self-described political insiders on campus up in Gainesville have formed a movement, calling themselves “#NotMySystem.” In a publically released video and in forthcoming stories in UF’s Florida Alligator newspaper, they protest the dominant and exclusionary – even allegedly racist – collection of power in their student government.

The “system” they describe forces the ambitious to align with respectable, largely social Greek life organizations for positions of power and recognition with the Student Government and Florida Blue Key, UF’s oldest and most prestigious honor society. Those who hope for entry have to curtail their voice and principles, and broader student engagement and voter participation is discouraged.

Who gets to be in the “establishment?” This question has come up in our campus politics and in the national presidential race. All of the people running for president, including familial insiders like Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican Jeb Bush, are determinedly trying to dodge the branding of the establishment, privileged conversations and access to money and status.

In our student government elections, the Empower U and One Team, One U tickets have called for bridging the gap between SG and the majority of students that are disaffected, nonvoting or uninvolved. On the other hand, the True to You ticket has spoken of building on the initiatives of the existing SG. At times, it can be personal.  In last week’s SG Debate, One Team, One U treasurer candidate Andrew Weinstock accused SG of “lying to 10,000 students for years now.”

This is not an attack on freedom of association. There is a good argument for passing on knowledge and expertise in power. Our school, furthermore, is much more diverse and less dominated by ancient student groups than UF, for which we should all be grateful. If anything, the most important so-called “umbrella” organizations espoused by True to You are made up of commuters and groups of color, as well as formal Greek Life. SG in particular airs the same complaints about outreach every single election season. I think our school does many things better than the stories I’ve heard from UF, and for that I’m proud.

Patrick Quinlan is a senior majoring in political science and international studies.

About Author

Patrick Quinlan

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 11th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...