Edge, Music

‘Cane Records showcases Frost School of Music’s rising stars

Senior Ashley Levin and sophomore Jack Lax perform songs from the newly released ‘Canes Records album Friday evening at the Rathskeller. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

‘Cane Records, the University of Miami’s  student-run record label, celebrated the release of their new album with an evening of performances by the Frost School of Music artists featured on the CD. Twelve students on the album, titled “For the Record,” performed a broad spectrum of styles.

Since its beginning in 1993, ‘Cane Records has released more than 20 albums and is still one of the leading student-run record labels in the country.

As the Rat’s stage lit up Friday night with a combination of original pop, Latin, hip-hop, R&B and country, the audience was visibly amazed. The only question was: whose autograph should they get first?

‘Cane Records President Emma Marzen said the artists worked hard to write and produce their own music. One of the bands, Mint Trip, is about to sign an independent record deal, she said.

“There is an independent spirit among all of these artists, and I think they’re going to grow in many ways throughout the years and you’re going to see more of them,” Marzen said.

Frost School of Music performers are known for their exceptional teamwork, which was evident from watching the artists perform both individually and together throughout the night.

Frost exchange student Claudia Allard said she loves to listen to everyone’s unique talents, but most of all, she loves the welcoming team atmosphere within the department.

“Tonight’s great. The atmosphere is amazing; the singers are amazing. I love listening to everyone’s different voices, ideas and styles, especially when they perform together,” she said. “Everyone connects really well and there is a real sense of teamwork, which is extremely important. This has made the move to Miami very welcoming, and as a singer myself, tonight has been so inspiring.”

Performer Gabriel Berenbaum said the best part was being able to share his music and watch his classmates perform.

“I’ve known them closely as friends, and to hear them up here and on the album, it’s just a great feeling,” Berenbaum said.

He is focusing on promoting his new album, set to release April 9.

“It’s called ‘Start Again’ and it’s combination of all the songs I have written throughout the years about relationships and life in general,” he said. “It’s an acoustic rock kind of album, but it’s very genuine and I hope everyone really likes it.”

When the event wrapped up at 8 p.m., attendees didn’t leave empty-handed. They each received a “For the Record” CD.

The artists of ‘Cane Records will return for performances March 31 on the Lakeside Patio, and attendees will get another chance to score their own copy of the album.

Students perform songs off the new ‘Cane Records album at the Rathskeller Friday night. ‘Cane Records is the University of Miami's premier student-run record label. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

Students perform songs off the new ‘Cane Records album at the Rathskeller Friday night. ‘Cane Records is the University of Miami’s premier student-run record label. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

Emma Hanrahan

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...

The Canes are well represented across the nation this summer with players competing in each of the t ...

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...