Edge, Music

‘Cane Records showcases Frost School of Music’s rising stars

Senior Ashley Levin and sophomore Jack Lax perform songs from the newly released ‘Canes Records album Friday evening at the Rathskeller. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

‘Cane Records, the University of Miami’s  student-run record label, celebrated the release of their new album with an evening of performances by the Frost School of Music artists featured on the CD. Twelve students on the album, titled “For the Record,” performed a broad spectrum of styles.

Since its beginning in 1993, ‘Cane Records has released more than 20 albums and is still one of the leading student-run record labels in the country.

As the Rat’s stage lit up Friday night with a combination of original pop, Latin, hip-hop, R&B and country, the audience was visibly amazed. The only question was: whose autograph should they get first?

‘Cane Records President Emma Marzen said the artists worked hard to write and produce their own music. One of the bands, Mint Trip, is about to sign an independent record deal, she said.

“There is an independent spirit among all of these artists, and I think they’re going to grow in many ways throughout the years and you’re going to see more of them,” Marzen said.

Frost School of Music performers are known for their exceptional teamwork, which was evident from watching the artists perform both individually and together throughout the night.

Frost exchange student Claudia Allard said she loves to listen to everyone’s unique talents, but most of all, she loves the welcoming team atmosphere within the department.

“Tonight’s great. The atmosphere is amazing; the singers are amazing. I love listening to everyone’s different voices, ideas and styles, especially when they perform together,” she said. “Everyone connects really well and there is a real sense of teamwork, which is extremely important. This has made the move to Miami very welcoming, and as a singer myself, tonight has been so inspiring.”

Performer Gabriel Berenbaum said the best part was being able to share his music and watch his classmates perform.

“I’ve known them closely as friends, and to hear them up here and on the album, it’s just a great feeling,” Berenbaum said.

He is focusing on promoting his new album, set to release April 9.

“It’s called ‘Start Again’ and it’s combination of all the songs I have written throughout the years about relationships and life in general,” he said. “It’s an acoustic rock kind of album, but it’s very genuine and I hope everyone really likes it.”

When the event wrapped up at 8 p.m., attendees didn’t leave empty-handed. They each received a “For the Record” CD.

The artists of ‘Cane Records will return for performances March 31 on the Lakeside Patio, and attendees will get another chance to score their own copy of the album.

Students perform songs off the new ‘Cane Records album at the Rathskeller Friday night. ‘Cane Records is the University of Miami's premier student-run record label. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

Students perform songs off the new ‘Cane Records album at the Rathskeller Friday night. ‘Cane Records is the University of Miami’s premier student-run record label. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

Emma Hanrahan

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...