Edge, Music

‘Cane Records showcases Frost School of Music’s rising stars

Senior Ashley Levin and sophomore Jack Lax perform songs from the newly released ‘Canes Records album Friday evening at the Rathskeller. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

‘Cane Records, the University of Miami’s  student-run record label, celebrated the release of their new album with an evening of performances by the Frost School of Music artists featured on the CD. Twelve students on the album, titled “For the Record,” performed a broad spectrum of styles.

Since its beginning in 1993, ‘Cane Records has released more than 20 albums and is still one of the leading student-run record labels in the country.

As the Rat’s stage lit up Friday night with a combination of original pop, Latin, hip-hop, R&B and country, the audience was visibly amazed. The only question was: whose autograph should they get first?

‘Cane Records President Emma Marzen said the artists worked hard to write and produce their own music. One of the bands, Mint Trip, is about to sign an independent record deal, she said.

“There is an independent spirit among all of these artists, and I think they’re going to grow in many ways throughout the years and you’re going to see more of them,” Marzen said.

Frost School of Music performers are known for their exceptional teamwork, which was evident from watching the artists perform both individually and together throughout the night.

Frost exchange student Claudia Allard said she loves to listen to everyone’s unique talents, but most of all, she loves the welcoming team atmosphere within the department.

“Tonight’s great. The atmosphere is amazing; the singers are amazing. I love listening to everyone’s different voices, ideas and styles, especially when they perform together,” she said. “Everyone connects really well and there is a real sense of teamwork, which is extremely important. This has made the move to Miami very welcoming, and as a singer myself, tonight has been so inspiring.”

Performer Gabriel Berenbaum said the best part was being able to share his music and watch his classmates perform.

“I’ve known them closely as friends, and to hear them up here and on the album, it’s just a great feeling,” Berenbaum said.

He is focusing on promoting his new album, set to release April 9.

“It’s called ‘Start Again’ and it’s combination of all the songs I have written throughout the years about relationships and life in general,” he said. “It’s an acoustic rock kind of album, but it’s very genuine and I hope everyone really likes it.”

When the event wrapped up at 8 p.m., attendees didn’t leave empty-handed. They each received a “For the Record” CD.

The artists of ‘Cane Records will return for performances March 31 on the Lakeside Patio, and attendees will get another chance to score their own copy of the album.

Students perform songs off the new ‘Cane Records album at the Rathskeller Friday night. ‘Cane Records is the University of Miami's premier student-run record label. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

Students perform songs off the new ‘Cane Records album at the Rathskeller Friday night. ‘Cane Records is the University of Miami’s premier student-run record label. Evelyn Choi // Staff Photographer

About Author

Emma Hanrahan

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...

Here's a daily look at what is taking place at Greentree ...

Miami tied for the most hits No. 8 North Carolina has allowed all season, but fell to the host Tar H ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...